Leak from outside of ceiling box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

troykeith

Jul 19, 2019
Michigan
Hello everyone.. looking for some help with a leak around our ceiling box. We've had this for a couple of years but only during torrential downpours. I had originally thought it was leaking from the seams of inferior pipe, collecting in the ceiling box and then leaking from the corner so we had the whole thing replaced and re-flashed last year. Today as we actually witnessed the event, it appears to be leaking from the outside of the ceiling box and actually dripping from the lower corner of the trim visible in the photo. It took about 10 or 15 minutes of intense rain before we noticed the issue. Is it possible that the water could be rushing up and into the vents of the collar, filling the ceiling box and actually overflowing or would you suspect an issue elsewhere?

We have a large, straight/flat roof with a 5/12 pitch and again, this only happens in the most severe downpours.. There is nothing but unbroken roof above the stove pipe to the peak. Given that it's a cathedral ceiling, I do not have access to the attic or a means to inspect the roof deck as this is happening.

When things dry out I was going to try to recreate the event with a garden hose.. also thought I could adhere an inverted V made out of some form of flashing to the roof above the pipe to divert some of the water during heavy rains. We have skylights about 10' from the pipe and thought it might also be possible that the water is somehow traveling over our basswood ceiling to the opening of the ceiling box but that seems unlikely at this point.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190719_073049.jpg
    20190719_073049.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,060
Hello everyone.. looking for some help with a leak around our ceiling box. We've had this for a couple of years but only during torrential downpours. I had originally thought it was leaking from the seams of inferior pipe, collecting in the ceiling box and then leaking from the corner so we had the whole thing replaced and re-flashed last year. Today as we actually witnessed the event, it appears to be leaking from the outside of the ceiling box and actually dripping from the lower corner of the trim visible in the photo. It took about 10 or 15 minutes of intense rain before we noticed the issue. Is it possible that the water could be rushing up and into the vents of the collar, filling the ceiling box and actually overflowing or would you suspect an issue elsewhere?

We have a large, straight/flat roof with a 5/12 pitch and again, this only happens in the most severe downpours.. There is nothing but unbroken roof above the stove pipe to the peak. Given that it's a cathedral ceiling, I do not have access to the attic or a means to inspect the roof deck as this is happening.

When things dry out I was going to try to recreate the event with a garden hose.. also thought I could adhere an inverted V made out of some form of flashing to the roof above the pipe to divert some of the water during heavy rains. We have skylights about 10' from the pipe and thought it might also be possible that the water is somehow traveling over our basswood ceiling to the opening of the ceiling box but that seems unlikely at this point.

My guess would be a leak around the flashing but it could be coming through the roof above the chimney as well we just dont know. But i can tell you it is not filling up the box and overflowing

Roof leaks are horrible! It could be anything from a bit of junk around the cone of your flashing to a leftover nail on the roof getting stepped on and cutting an almost invisible slit. Without access to the underside of the roof deck for inspection you are forced to guess on the location of the leak and the reason.

The most likely culprit is a bad roofing job around the cone. So many people do this one wrong and think it's right. Please post a photo of the cone flashing and I'll bet some of the expert roofers can see the mistake.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks for the input.. here's what we've got up top.

Attachments

• 20190720_075405.jpg
    20190720_075405.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 350
  • 20190720_075429.jpg
    20190720_075429.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 20190720_075445.jpg
    20190720_075445.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 367
My leek was a almost not visible crack / slit on a shingle right above the chimney. it was where the roof pitch changes. getting up there to brush, my ladder leg did it.

I the sky light are off line with the chimney. So unless the water is running horizontal on the T&G ceiling boards, I doubt its from there. I would redo the silicon.

Good photos.

Those exposed nails at the flashing base are unnecessary and potential leaks. It is amazing how much water an exposed nail head can leak. Your only choice now is goop on the heads.

Probably the biggest mistake though is that he tried to seal the roofing to the cone with goop instead of leaving a finger width clearance between the cone and the shingle for water to flow around. Then shingles under the cone on top of the flashing.

I’m not a pro but I’m overly particular about penetrations and that roofing job has things that I would not allow.

Good photos.

Those exposed nails at the flashing base are unnecessary and potential leaks. It is amazing how much water an exposed nail head can leak. Your only choice now is goop on the heads.

Probably the biggest mistake though is that he tried to seal the roofing to the cone with goop instead of leaving a finger width clearance between the cone and the shingle for water to flow around. Then shingles under the cone on top of the flashing.

I’m not a pro but I’m overly particular about penetrations and that roofing job has things that I would not allow.
I agree with everything you said but I am pretty sure those are roofing screws not nails. So while I agree they are completely unnecessary they should not be a source of a leak and should not be gooped

If there is a gap between the roof flashing & the pipe, and it's only getting in during torrential storms, it could be getting up under the storm collar and getting in the gap between the pipe and flashing.
The other area to check, is if you have ridge vent, and it's the aluminum nail on type, that is notorious for leaking, and it could travel downward to the opening.

I had an occasional leak until I taped up both the top and bottom of my storm collar. In just the right circumstances I would get water blown up under it.

I used a quality aluminum duct tape. Last year I had a red squirrel chew through part of the tape. No real harm done, but it also served to warn me it was time to lo

That was definitely the problem before.. I contacted the manufacturer of our pipe and they told me it was a known issue and I should just caulk the seams. During heavy rains water would get into the box and we'd get a drip... drip... drip from the corner of the box. After replacing the pipe and flashing, what we had the other day was like someone poured a cup or two of water through the ceiling and it was clearly running down the outside of the box.

Ok, lots of things to look at I guess. Thinking I'll pull the shingles, run some bituthene around the edge of the flashing, replace the shingles leaving a 3/4" gap between the base of the cone and the shingles with no caulking/sealant. Sound like the correct plan? Wondering if anyone has a good photo of a proper installation? Thanks again

I agree that a gap should be left where the shingles wrap around the flashing, but highly doubt that is where your problem is. I don't think this will solve your issue, and will only be unnecessary added work & expense. If you're that worried about it, just remove the caulk and cut the shingles back from the flashing 1/2" to 3/4". No need to remove the shingles.

My money is on that the water is getting in under the storm collar and finding it's way down at the gap between the pipe and the flashing.

I agree that a gap should be left where the shingles wrap around the flashing, but highly doubt that is where your problem is. I don't think this will solve your issue, and will only be unnecessary added work & expense. If you're that worried about it, just remove the caulk and cut the shingles back from the flashing 1/2" to 3/4". No need to remove the shingles.

My money is on that the water is getting in under the storm collar and finding it's way down at the gap between the pipe and the flashing.
If that was the case it is very unlikely that the water would run down outside the box. After seeing the pics I would bet on a leak higher up. Possibly the roof supports.

See the seam of the cone on the upper facing part? Those are caulked from the factory and are not what you'd say the bestest most thorough job. Likewise the seam where the cone is attached to the roof flashing is caulked as well and equally deficient most times. Start there.

See the seam of the cone on the upper facing part? Those are caulked from the factory and are not what you'd say the bestest most thorough job. Likewise the seam where the cone is attached to the roof flashing is caulked as well and equally deficient most times. Start there.
That depends upon the brand. And again those issues would most likely not leak outside the box

Sometimes on cathedral ceilings people do some really weird stuff with the black ceiling support box. The boxes are often way taller than the rafters so the installer can cut it even with the bottom of the roof deck or some of them even cut a huge hole in the roof deck to allow the whole ceiling box to poke through. Then they go up on top and cut the corners to lay it out like a banana on top of the roof deck.

I would take a flat bar and lift the shingles starting at the lower side of the flashing one row at a time.Be sure to not rip the shingles, go slow and easy. Now where one shingle meets the next shingle after you break the seal of the shingle with the flat bar lift the shingle and see if there is a nail where the shingles meet. If so apply sealant on the nail. Do the next shingle the same way. Then repeat process going up the roof about ten rows. Start on the side where the leak is. When you get beyond the chimney do each row about 3 feet each side out from the center of the chimney. Go up about seven more rows. Also apply waterproof sealant on the screw/nail heads at the lower flashing. Also reseal the flashing at the base and collar. Use seamer mate found in the gutter section at home depot.

Last edited by a moderator:

it is 2021 December now and I have had the same exact? dripping as you....and still do..and it is again dripping of the outside corner of the box ... the south down slope thereof......what did uyou do to finally fix?