Leaking double wall chimney pipe. condensation???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minnesota

Nov 16, 2020
minnesota
Hello,
I am in the middle of a fireplace install that has a double wall chimney pipe. I am having a leak that is coming from the inside of the outer pipe, it is dripping from an offset. The installation is not complete, the fire box is in, chimney is complete (chimney cap, flashing, storm collar) I still need to close up the wall that is around the fireplace. There is 8' of chimney above the roof it is double wall chimney pipe, the kind that just has air between the two pipes (no insulation). Could warm air from my house be going up the outside pipe and condensing when it meets the cold chimney pipe? I am in Minnesota and getting temps in the single digits and night and about 30 in the day. I am afraid to go any further will the installation until I fix the leak but think I may need to close up the wall around the fireplace to prevent the warm house air from up the outer chimney pipe.

Thanks for any and all help