leaving bacharach dial thermometer in stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hi all--

not yet quite ready to run my flue pipe, but got to thinking-

somewhere on here I saw someone's (anthony d's?) post with a photo that looked like they'd installed a Bacharach "Tempoint" or similar dial thermometer as a permanent installation in their flue

I got to thinking about doing the same-- I've already got the thermometer from other projects

but wanted to ask whether there's likely to be damage to the thermometer's sensor stem if it is left there in the path of the combustion byproducts all the time

and/ or ask for any suggestions on a way to mount it into/ through the flue pipe, preferably removably, that are a bit more sophisticated than drilling a hole and rigging some bailing wire...

thanks

I just use a magnetic flue temp guage on my econoburn. It is only at 100c -180 c at the best of times.

So far the temperature gauge has not shown any signs of deterioration , when you remove the probe you can see how your last couple burns went , by color of the dust . I located it in the hottest possible location of the exhaust stream , so I get a real feeling for how much heat is going out the chimney . The peak temperature so far with the Ecnoburn running full tilt with super dry small oak splits was 600 degrees f . I could not imagine operating a wood fired boiler without gauges , but on the other hand maybe not knowing or caring about stack temp or chimney draft is the way to go , load it up , start fire , close door , go to work and save major $$
Anthony

Anthony D said:
So far the temperature gauge has not shown any signs of deterioration , when you remove the probe you can see how your last couple burns went , by color of the dust . I located it in the hottest possible location of the exhaust stream , so I get a real feeling for how much heat is going out the chimney . The peak temperature so far with the Ecnoburn running full tilt with super dry small oak splits was 600 degrees f . I could not imagine operating a wood fired boiler without gauges , but on the other hand maybe not knowing or caring about stack temp or chimney draft is the way to go , load it up , start fire , close door , go to work and save major $$
Anthony

Anthony D- how did you install/ attach it so that it does not flop around?

thanks

Sorry for the delay , the Temppoint has a cool gadget that slides on the probe and hooks onto the flue pipe and holds the the thermometer just about any were you set it . You need to make the hole slightly bigger than the probe .
Anthony

Attachments

• XL-6T162.JPG
    XL-6T162.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 416
Anthony D said:
Sorry for the delay , the Temppoint has a cool gadget that slides on the probe and hooks onto the flue pipe and holds the the thermometer just about any were you set it . You need to make the hole slightly bigger than the probe .
Anthony

thanks- sure'nuf, when I just dug out my Bacharach kit, there it is, and I should've known that, and thanks (sincerely!) for not making me feel like a buffoon for forgetting about a feature of something I already own and have used before (though not for a long while)

I went to the grocery store and bought a meat/candy themometer, and stuck in into the flue just as it comes out of the boiler, it has been there for 3 years and works great, with no problems. I can say this there is a big difference in the temputure of the gases in the flue as compared to the temp on the surface of the pipe, I showed 200* difference. I can also tell you that this thermometor in the flue is one helpful rig, I can see what is goiing on any time I want and it is consistant. I know when the temp starts to drop below 375 all I have is coals in ther and I can add wood or shut it down. When I first start a fire I use it to see how hot the fire is getting when I have the bybass damper open, and when I can close the damper and get sustained gassification. This is my opinion but anyone with a gassifier, should have some way to quickly see there flue temp and it should be the gases inside not the outside. Again I just drilled a hole and shoved a $7.00 candy thermometer in the hole. best thing since sliced bread.

Steve

DaveBP said:
Okay, I'll be first. If they hold up to flue gases I want one.

Where did you get them?

I bought a complete flue gas analysis kit over 25 years ago when I ventured on my own in the heating repair business , it is hard to believe there still the same . My gauge has probably saved my costumers many thousands of dollars by finding way over fired oil boilers , sooted up boilers , in operative barometric dampers . Now it has a new home where it plays a vital roll in the starting of the Econoburn , when starting the boiler with lower door wide open and the loading door open just a crack I DO NOT LEAVE the boiler alone even for minute , I hang out right by the temp gauge and wait for it to hit 300 degrees f , then close both doors , start fan and close bypass , here the turbo kick in . You might want to check Granger , they are a great company to deal with .
Anthony

Anthony, You mention your Econoburn. Did you retire the Seton or are they in different buildings. Have you burnt enough to make a comparison yet ? Any other observations between the two, pro's, con's ?
Thanks
Will

DaveBP said:
Okay, I'll be first. If they hold up to flue gases I want one.

Where did you get them?

I got a Bacharach "Wet Kit" off of e-bay about a year and a half ago-- really nice draft gauge, this nice stack thermometer, and an interestingly retro and beautifully made device called a "Fyrite" that measures CO2 in flue gas based using a fluid/volume method

http://www.bacharach-inc.com/fyrite-gas-analyzers.htm

I've used it to self-service my oil furnace and stand alone oil-fired hot water heater, set/tune the barometric dampers, etc., and between that and the ways that it'll come in handy in setting up the Econoburn, it's already earned its keep.

I don't know yet whether the Fyrite might let me take some readings on the combustion process/ flue gases with wood; I recall that the literature with it has calibrations for how to read %CO2 in a coal flue in addition to oil. Anyone happen to know or have a good guess on that?

Willman said:
Anthony, You mention your Econoburn. Did you retire the Seton or are they in different buildings. Have you burnt enough to make a comparison yet ? Any other observations between the two, pro's, con's ?
Thanks
Will
Finally got caught , both boilers are side by side and were set up to run individually or together [ separate chimneys ] I never tried firring both at the same time . I wanted to become a Econoburn dealer so bought a EBW-100 for testing , and to learn the in's and out's a Down draft gasification boiler . So far the tests are going very well and the Econoburn loves my 5-8 year seasoned oak split collection left over from the wood stove days . I could go on for ever but have to hit the road .
Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.