Left blower trick PDVC 25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jigger

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Wareham,Ma.
Today I decided to get deep into my stove for cleaning. First I reamed the chimney with the brush. Then climbed a ladder and blocked off the top. I then performed the leaf blower trick on the stove and a lot of junk came out.
I then came inside and pulled the stove out and opened it up. Lately I've notice that the amount of air coming out of the convection blower was a lot lower then it should be. So that was my first project to tackle. I pulled the stove out and took it a part. I removed the convection blower and it had a lot of dust stuck in it. I bought a new convection blower several years ago so I changed it out. If your putting in a new blower make certain you drill pilot holes into the gasket and screw the bolts part way in. If you don't you might not get them in. After installing the new motor. I proceeded to clean out the combustion blower. I removed the combustion motor housing and discovered that it was absolutely clean. There was no fine particles of dust on it at all. So the leaf blower trick does work very well. The old convection motor I'll take it to work and blow it out and keep it as a spare.

Glad it worked good for you. we preach it a lot :) one thing to remember is to take the hoses off your vac switches so they don't get damaged by the suction of the leaf blower. stay warm!

Glad it worked good for you. we preach it a lot :) one thing to remember is to take the hoses off your vac switches so they don't get damaged by the suction of the leaf blower. stay warm!
I do it at least once a month. But when I do it I open the door so there's no chance of any negative pressure in the fire box. When I did it today. I only took the combustion blower off as an experiment to see how much stuff was left behind.

Wife like it to. I leave the leaf blower run while I scrape the inside of the burn chamber. It sucks the dust right out and doesn’t let it escape into the house.

Reactions: Jigger