Left the damper open this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spc1947

Mar 2, 2007
Virginia
New member here so it might take a while to get the hang of this thing. I got a Regency I3100 insert new this winter and have been very careful about buring it. So far so good but this morning (5 am) I loaded it up and opened the damper all the way, closed the door and forgot to close the damper before I went to work. So it ran all morning with the damper wide open. I called the wife who was gone to take the kids to school and ask her to check it for me. She did around 10:00 am and said there were some red coals in a semi-log shape that broke apart when she reloaded it. My question is did I overfire it? I got a 32 foot 6" ss liner from stove to top of chimney with a cap. There is a plate welded right inside the door that hangs down about 1 1/4 inch, it runs from one side to the other and it was warpped ever so slightly. the tubes look fine and I can't see any visible signs of bent metal anywhere else. What do you think?

If you truly did cause some warping in a part, regardless if it is minimal, you probably overfired the stove. You have a monster chimney, so I bet you have a pretty strong draft. With that damper wide open, that fire was just increasing the strength of the draft as it went along.

Just check it over for any other damage and be more careful.

thanks for the replys. What should I be look for? I didn't pull it out and check the back side or the top.

Cracked welds, warping, etc. Its unlikely, but look around and make sure no serious damage occured. I bet things were pretty wicked in that firebox for a while.

I'll let to cool tonight and check it out good on Saturday, the wife did say it was nice and warm when she checked it.

Yeah I bet it was good and toasty.

This is one of those times where an overfire alarm would have been nice, provided your wife is instructed what to do when it happens.

It is probably fine. One of the legs of the EPA tests requires that it burn flat-out with the primary air wide open for a long time. The only variable here is, as Corie said, that long pipe and probably monster draft.

I raked all the coals forward this morning and then placed two splits on the bottom of the stove (no coals under) and then two splits on the coals. So maybe the burn was slower... maybe. I took another look at the stove just now and I can't see anything bent or cracked other than what I said to start with. I guess I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing. Also I checked the therometer in that room which has a memory and the higest its ever been in that room lately is 82 degrees. I guess I'm loooking for some reassurance that I didn't ruin my stove.

That's ok, my stove was left to overfire two weeks ago by my dad. I wasn't home.

He said it was 95 degrees downstairs and 82 upstairs.

Oh boy.

splitter said:
I raked all the coals forward this morning and then placed two splits on the bottom of the stove (no coals under) and then two splits on the coals. So maybe the burn was slower... maybe. I took another look at the stove just now and I can't see anything bent or cracked other than what I said to start with. I guess I'm just a little nervous about the whole thing. Also I checked the therometer in that room which has a memory and the higest its ever been in that room lately is 82 degrees. I guess I'm loooking for some reassurance that I didn't ruin my stove.

Sure only natural to be concerned. A good clue that it hasn't been severly overfired is if the paint is ok. The metal starts to glow at a little over 1,100 degrees and the paint gives up at a little over 1,200. I would be willing to bet that stove didn't see temps anywhere near that.

If you don't see warping in the sides or top and the welds are fine it probably just had a nice little 700 degree warm up. In fact if there wasn't any new paint vapor smells when she got home it probably never got any hotter than it has previously. Every time I get a stove a hundred degrees hotter than it has been before it gives off some smell. And the smell of an overfired one is definately noticable.

That smell is so distinct, it will forever me engrained in me.

I can recognize it anywhere, anytime. I bet most of us can.

I'm starting to feel better. I remember the smell I got when I first started the very first fire in the new stove, is that kinda what you are talking about?

Corie said:
That smell is so distinct, it will forever me engrained in me.

I can recognize it anywhere, anytime. I bet most of us can.

I have told the story here before. Guy using the guest room during his divorce. I am out for the evening and come home to the house dark and open the door. That SMELL. 4.2 cubic feet of dry pine stuffed in that firebox and going full tilt while he is upstairs asleep. No need to turn on the light in the family room. The glow from the 3/8" plate top on the Sierra was light enough. Flue collar looked like if you poked it it would shatter.

Damn thing burned fine for the next twenty years until the firebox finally cracked last year from banging front to back splits against the back while it was rolling. In fact in its two trips over 1,200 after the crack nothing ever warped.

Methinks the Regency gonna be just fine. Heck, it is brick lined. Ole Brownie didn't have a brick lining.

splitter said:
I'm starting to feel better. I remember the smell I got when I first started the very first fire in the new stove, is that kinda what you are talking about?

Nope. It is just, well, different. For some reason you just know it is a hot metal, not hot paint, smell.

I didn't smell anything when I got home at 3:00 this evening. She didn't say anything, Ill ask her about that. Good story about the dry pine!

Our woodfurnace has an air jacket around it. A few times I have forgot to close the bottom door and I get busy. When I realize it the furnace is hotter than hell. As soon as I peek my nose in the basement you know its too hot. The smell we get reminds me of burnt crayons. Luckily nothing is harmed and no chimney fires, but its scary when it happens. Now if I crack the door open, I will stay down there till I close it. It only takes 1 time for something to go wrong. You kinda get that sour stomach when things get a little too hot.

That smell would guide me several rooms away. I always knew when the old 602 was heating up by the smell. My wife would look at me, like "what's up" as I donned the leather gloves. I'd respond, double checking the extinguisher, "Can't you smell it?!"

The stove has cooled down so I took the top part of the surround off and peeked in. The paint looks good as new and no bowing or cracks or anything.. But I tapped on the ss liner and I heard something falling down thru the liner. So I tapped it again and Some more "stuff" came down. I had to take the tubes out and the plates on top of the tubes to see what it was. It was black and crunchy and it had the shape of the linner ribs. Flexible liner. I tapped a few more times and a little more came out, all together I would guesstamate around two handfulls. Cresote? Got to be. Time for a liner cleaning? I have not cleaned it yet and It was installed in january and it been burning 24/7 mostly.

splitter said:
The stove has cooled down so I took the top part of the surround off and peeked in. The paint looks good as new and no bowing or cracks or anything.. But I tapped on the ss liner and I heard something falling down thru the liner. So I tapped it again and Some more "stuff" came down. I had to take the tubes out and the plates on top of the tubes to see what it was. It was black and crunchy and it had the shape of the linner ribs. Flexible liner. I tapped a few more times and a little more came out, all together I would guesstamate around two handfulls. Cresote? Got to be. Time for a liner cleaning? I have not cleaned it yet and It was installed in january and it been burning 24/7 mostly.

Way too much creosote that close the the flue collar. Clean that chimney. And burn that pup a little hotter from now on. After you clean the chimney.

I got a therometer on the front panel of the stove and it runs around 350 avg. I have seen it up to 450 but its a double wall where the therometer is. Just not sure how hot is good. But I guess it needs to be hotter. I'll get the flue cleaned and start burning the fires a little hotter. Thank you guys for all the replies. Its been a big help.

Temps are really hard to gauge with an insert. Especially with the blower running. At the least always make sure you have a good burn in the firebox. Either coming up from the wood or rolling at the top of the firebox from the secondary burn tubes. The best insurance against creosote buildup is knowing that the smoke is burning in the firebox, not going up the chimney to make creosote. With most stoves you know you are up to a good operating temperature when a burn starts up at the baffle.

Take a walk outside. That chimney will tell you when you are burning hot enough.

Ok, I'll make you feel better. I have the same insert. Installed a few weeks ago. I know for a fact mine was never overfired, but I have had it pretty hot. I know the bar you speak of and mine is bent more than yours I bet. If you run your finger along the inside of that bar, you will notice there are only 3 welds. Definitely not enough. What purpose does it serve? I'm not sure other than directing the flame away from the window.

I do welding for a hobby and plan to add a few more welds to that bar. I even thought about taking a picture of it and sending it to the company. It's petty IMHO, but there should definitely be two more welds on that bar. I also have a temp gauge on the front right corner. What little I have learned is that the insert runs best when it is about 450-500.
the only thing that concerns me is my third burn tube periodically glows. I've searched here and found that many other stoves do it also, so it may be normal.

Was your fan running? If I leave it unattended with a full load, my fan runs on high. I think it would be difficult to overfire this insert with the fan running.

FuzzyOne said:
Ok, I'll make you feel better. I have the same insert. Installed a few weeks ago. I know for a fact mine was never overfired, but I have had it pretty hot. I know the bar you speak of and mine is bent more than yours I bet. If you run your finger along the inside of that bar, you will notice there are only 3 welds. Definitely not enough. What purpose does it serve? I'm not sure other than directing the flame away from the window.

I do welding for a hobby and plan to add a few more welds to that bar. I even thought about taking a picture of it and sending it to the company. It's petty IMHO, but there should definitely be two more welds on that bar. I also have a temp gauge on the front right corner. What little I have learned is that the insert runs best when it is about 450-500.
the only thing that concerns me is my third burn tube periodically glows. I've searched here and found that many other stoves do it also, so it may be normal.

Was your fan running? If I leave it unattended with a full load, my fan runs on high. I think it would be difficult to over fire this insert with the fan running.

That bar sounds like its your airwash for the glass. I would recommend against more welds on it. The lminimal welds are to let it expand & contract. If you tighten it up with more welds, it will cause the plate to crack. Roo can be more elaborate. We had another member with a reinforcement plate which had poorly placed welds causing cracking.
Regency most likey has limited welds on that plae for a reason. Not to mention you will void your warranty.
Jut my 2cents, take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.