Lennox Ladera Blower Connection Problem, Cold Draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keats76

Nov 21, 2011
Asheville, NC
All,
My new house is almost complete, unfortunately it appears that the builder walled up the fireplace without connecting the blower on my Lennox Ladera fireplace. :(

Does anyone know if the electrical connection can be made without accessing the outside of the box? I've had the opening to the refactory removed and have access to the blower and the electrical box, but it looks like there is a cover plate on the exterior that screws into the box from the outside to expose the opening for wiring.

I should be able to fish some wiring to the outside of the box to make the switched connection, but I'm not sure if I'll have access to pull the wire into the box. I could probably drill a hole, but I'm sure I'd need to find a way to protect the wire from the rough opening and I don't know if that would void a warranty or anything.

Also, there appears to be a cold draft that comes from the new fireplace, sigh. I don't think this is due to active wind, just cold temperatures in the chase making their way through the fireplace box. :( At the time of installation the builder suggested insulating the outside of the chase with some XPS (probably 1/2").

I was overwhelmed with other decisions at the time so I let this one slide. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just kill two birds with one stone and open up the chase from the exterior, gain access to the electrical and then insulate the accessible portion of the chase with some unfaced fiberglass bats. I think they have to be unfaced right?

Has anyone encountered anything similar or have any suggestions on the type of insulation to use? We're in a mixed humid climate near Asheville, NC. We get a moderate winter here and will probably have a good 3-4 months of heating needs.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.