Less heat from insert when its below 20 degrees outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cighon

Mar 11, 2008
Northern NJ
i noticed this weekend when the temp outside dropped to 20 that my insert wasnt throwing out the heat it usually does aournd 30 degrees. i guess the 1920 two story house may have something to do with it or the draft is sucking it out the chimney.

anyone else encoutner this. not that its cold in my house but i dont feel the heat traveling up the stairs to the second floor like i normally do.

It takes a lot more for evey 10 degree drop on an older house. Also you are probably running with more ash trying to burn more wood for more heat. Too much ash insulates it and reduces the heat.

Another thought - old houses are susceptible to stack effect, and the "draft" of the hot air leaving the house is going to increase based on temp differences between inside air and outside - in the end, both flue draft and stack effect are going to increase, so you will need to heat more air as more air is brought into the house.

I am assuming that the lack of heat is subjective vice an actual measured stove temp difference? If anything, the burn quality of the insert should improve with the colder temps.

What kind of wood are you using? Do you have an external chimney?

This past cold snap i thought something was wrong with my insert also. The house was 67 on first floor 65 on second the temp outside was in the teens. when it warmed up to the thirtys outside the house was toasty 73 down and 70 up stiars. I do have 8 windows in my living room were the insert is. Things that you take for granted when you are running the oil central heat!

I am happy with the insert

Status
Not open for further replies.