jp57 Posted By jp57, Feb 17, 2015 at 9:45 AM

1. jp57

jp57
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 4, 2011
    Loc:
    Moore Twsp., Pa
    This is my first year with a pellet stove and I'm learning as I'm going along (and reading this forum). Just a couple things that I'm starting to figure out:

1. Got to have a humidifier, or two, going with the stove running. Dry as all h3ll in the house without them.
    2. "A clean stove is a happy stove". Self explanatory.
    3. The stove can run all day and night. As long as it is properly maintained, she'll run just fine.
    3. Buy pellets in advance of the winter. I only had about 30 bags going into the witner and with the real nasty, nasty cold we're having here in NE PA, it is nowhere near enough. Had to pay $7/bag yesterday at a dealer so I grabbed just enough to get me through this week. HD, Lowes, and TSC all are out of stock around me. I COULD drive an hour down to Bucks Pellets, but I would end up paying more in gas.

So...for next year...buy pellets early, keep the humidifiers running, keep the stove clean, and don't panic about the house burning down. LOL

Oh...and seriously look into adding a OAK.

2. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    S.E. Michigan
    Thats all common sense IMO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Peterfield

Peterfield
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2013
    Loc:
    New Hampshire

OAK? What's that?? ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    jp57 likes this.
  4. jp57

jp57
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 4, 2011
    Loc:
    Moore Twsp., Pa
    It really kind of is...but sometimes you can't see it if you don't go through it first, ya know? :)

Lindsey-Ann and Pellet_Pete like this.
  5. Fsappo

Fsappo
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 9, 2008
    Loc:
    Central NY
    its a guy thing. Sometimes we need to suffer to learn

jp57 likes this.
  6. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    S.E. Michigan
    O utside A ir K it

I like Oak pellets myself.

Most everything discussed on here is in your instruction/installation manual. I'm into reading myself. Makes life much easier.

Peterfield likes this.
  7. Randy Acton

Randy Acton
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 21, 2014
    Loc:
    MI
    An OAK may help but probably not as much as you think. The humidity of a house heated with gas forced air is almost the same one heated with wood or pellet stoves. Over the last 5 days we have had constant 0 to -10 temps in Michigan. Two of those days we heated with wood and had 27% RH. 3 days we heated with gas ad had 26% RH. No OAK on the wood stove but we do have two cast iron tea ketlles full of water on te stove.

8. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    A stove shouldn't really act as a dehumidifier.

9. Randy Acton

Randy Acton
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 21, 2014
    Loc:
    MI
    Agreed maple1, I think OAK's are misunderstood ad generally not needed

10. moey

moey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Southern Maine
    If you had a OAK it may help with the humidity level. Stoves don't cause dry air bringing in cold outside air and continually heating it causes dry air.

johninwi likes this.
  11. Randy Acton

Randy Acton
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 21, 2014
    Loc:
    MI
    moey you are correct in that bringing it in causes dry air, but heating it does nothing

12. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    S.E. Michigan
    The reason for using outside air for combustion is simply, why use heated room air for combustion and run it out the vent when you can use outside air and not be heating air to use for combustion. That makes no sense when most all stoves are equipped with outside air fittings (mandatory on a mobile home btw).

The stoves don't put out excessive btu's, why waste them on combustion air.....

Wilbur Feral and jp57 like this.
  13. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    Heating air expands the distance between molecules and thus you have less moisture per unit volume, thus the air IS less humid.

If you want to have fun with pellets go to TSC and buy a few bags of equine bedding pellets. You'll be pleased. Several threads on the subject hereon.

Flipper is right. Get an OAK.

Other than that you've done well Grasshopper!:)

jp57 likes this.
  14. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    Just make sure that they aren't the dark pellets - you won't be pleased with those at all.

F4jock likes this.
  15. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    Yeah. Good point. The blonder the better. I should know!==c

16. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    S.E. Michigan
    I know some good blonde jokes but I'll keep them to myself...

17. LordmetalZ28

LordmetalZ28
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Not true my lignetics where very dark and so far out performed my hamers and barefoots

18. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    He means the Equine Bedding

19. LordmetalZ28

LordmetalZ28
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Ohhh lol I get it

20. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 7, 2010
    Loc:
    S.E. Michigan
    Dark would be whizzed on wouldn't it?_g

21. Wilbur Feral

Wilbur Feral
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 24, 2014
    Loc:
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    I just sit here repeating to myself, "Do not take the bait. Do not take the bait. Do not take the bait.", over and over and over. Clearly there is misunderstanding. But not on the part of those who recommend an OAK.

BTW, the earth is not flat and the moon is not made of cheese, either. But feel free to argue that, too.

22. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    She

23. bluhming

bluhming
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2015
    Loc:
    ohio
    In reply to TSC equine bedding pellets my experience this year has been med heat , lots of ash , lots of clinkers . When it hits zero house stays at 62 withTSC softwood bedding , when using quality hard wood pellets also purchased at TSC house stays at 68 .

24. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    Sorry. Didn't look close enough at the post.:confused:

bogieb likes this.
  25. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    You must have gotten the darker ones. Lighter ones burned very hot for me.