Liberty blower won't stay on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a_saccharum

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Central NY
Hi everyone,

We've recently started using our Lopi Liberty- our first stove- and things have been going quite well. The one problem we have been having is with the blower. As far as I can recall, it was working properly the first time we used the stove, but when we started it up this weekend, it would only kick on for a few seconds before shutting off, then come on again after a few more seconds. I fiddled with the controls to see if changing the setting would help any, but didn't have any luck. Is this an operator error of some kind, or do we have a bona fide issue with our blower?

Thanks,
Sarah

You might try replacing the thermostatic switch (snap switch). It's a little disc that's clipped onto the top of the rear heat shield. Rick

It could be that the blower's thermostatic disk is not in good contact with the stove. You can improve contact by bending the side legs of the thermodisk holder to a sharper angle so that it presses the disk more firmly against the stove body. (See page 36 of the manual). Unplug the fan before trying this.

Or it could be that the stove is not getting hot enough? What is the stove top temperature?

It is either the disk is not touching the metal, as noted above, or a combination of that and that it is the path of airflow for the blower. Obviously not touching the metal or the air being sucked across it will lower the temp and turn it off.

Dont bother replacing the switch, just open up the stove and bypass the switch. You can find the switch, just follow the wires. My switch took forever to turn on the fan. The switch on my fireplace extrodinaire (lopi) is open until it gets hot, then it is closed. So I just cut the 2 wires going to it, and wrapped them together (wire nut, electrical tape). Now the blower is controlled only by the switch I have.

This is what I wanted. You can use this as a troubleshooting step to see what is wrong. You could also use a multimeter to watch the switch, but chances are its too hot to get nice and friendly with a multimeter in there.

goodluck!

snap switch needs a good contact to work properly

A small amount of heat sink grease will help get it working correctly - you don't need much it's simply a gap filler.

Aaron

If its a free standing stove, you can re-route the snap disk to the front of the stove, to the right side (left of the air control when looking at stove) air intake. One of my liberty stoves ws doing the same thing and this is where the shop teck sugested I move it to. The only problem now is that the stove will circulate cool air after the fire dies down and jacket of stove cools, but the fire brick and ash keep bottom of stove hot enough to trip the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.