Life expectancy on a thermocouple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmatte

Dec 2, 2008
Merrimack, NH
I keep getting a TC Firepot error on my Mt. Vernon AE insert. I replaced the thermocouple a couple of years ago. While replacing it i snapped the lead on the circuit board. I was able to solder a new one on with the help of my dad. Saved a few hundred bucks there. Is about 2 years average for a thermocouple? We typically burn about 5 tons of pellets per season.
I just hate to try to replace it again. I'm afraid I'll snap another lead off.

My Quad has been running the same thermocouple since I bought the house in '07. Been averaging 4-5 tons/yr since and the TC still works fine (knock on wood).

Are you sure it's the TC... did you re-check that solder?

You could cut the wires a distance from the board, and make your connections there, avoiding going near the board at all.

+1 on checking the soldering job. Resolder just to be sure, a cold solder joint can look okay, but not work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.