Lift a gas insert a "bit"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipinNE

Dec 1, 2013
Connecticut
I want to add a bluestone hearth slab to my existing fireplace. I have a Heat & Glow FB Grand LP Insert in an all-brick fireplace. The problem is that a 1-inch or 1.5 inch slab will prevent me from opening the access door at the bottom of the insert. Can I safely raise the entire firebox insert to clear the new slab? If so, what kind of material would I use? (I have room above the insert). PS - I didn't install the unit, but I just replaced the thermocouple in this insert, so I am pretty familiar with the "insides". My assumption is that there is enough "play" in the gas line and electrical connection (blower) to move "up" 1 inch.

If you're talking 1" exactly, you can use doubled up, 1/2' Durarock strips, 3-4" wide running from front to back on both sides of the box...

Reactions: Heatsource
Yep. Cut (or snap) them to the full depth of the firebox, so that 's supported from front to back. Doubled will make one inch,
so with the firebox on the durarock & the surround on the 1" stone, everything will sit level...

Reactions: xtrordinair
Status
Not open for further replies.