Lignetics and Homefire pressed logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I am running out of seasoned wood. Have mercy on me, I moved into this home in late december with no wood and bought a cord of dry fir and have been scrounging for more but the dry wood is almost gone. In the last month I have put up over 3 cords of green cedar, alder, and fir for next season but this year's heating season is still going strong.

I bought 5 logs from two brands. The logs were purchased from a pallet at a hardware store. The pallets were unmarked except for price and SKU but I got some guy to admit that the logs were lignetics at 79 cents each and homefire "12-hour logs" at 99 cents each. Great, I'll take 5 of each for testing. So now I have 10 logs in my truck with no idea how to use them except to burn them.

I got home to a 300 degree stove with maybe enough coals to fill a lunchbox. I raked the coals up near the door and then set two lignetics logs north-south parallel to each other. My Lopi has a primary air inlet front and center below the glass and airwash. The logs lit up and started burning nicely but then the problems started. These buggers expand like crazy and were pushed up against the glass until they buckled and fell down. I actually opened the door and knocked a section ogf log off of the door jamb and into the fire. The gasket surface is clean and the seal is good. Phew, that crisis is over. Now the fire is going good, up to 450, I damper back to almost zero and the secondaries are extremely active. Whoa, climbing towards 500, shut draft to zero. Secondaries rolling like crazy. Temps continue to climb alarmingly fast. Blower now on full blast, starting to worry about combustibles, checking for redness, climbing to 550, then approaching 600. I stuff my welding gloves in the P&S air intakes but it only slows the fire a bit. I am putting away bottle caps and making the house presentable for the fire department when the temp rise stalls at about 615. Then the secondaries mellow out and the blob of snake coils just sits there glowing. Temps fall slowly to 300 after a total burn time of about 3 hours. Not cool. Thank goodness I didn't use three. Time for a beer. My impressions are that the lignetics burns too fast and too hot.

Now refreshed, I grab one (1) 1!, homefire pressed log. Supposedly 12 hours of burntime. This log has a single flat side and is darker in color. Feels like the weight is similar to the lignetic log. I set it down on the last of the glowing remains of the lignetics log. It starts pretty easily and flames actively. No secondary action and no snakelike expansion but much more flaming. Temps rise to 350 and I damper to zero after about 30 minutes and go to bed confident that the overfire isn't going to happen here.

I wake up 9 hours later to a 150 degree stove and a grey homefire log about half sized glowing there in the firebox. Not enough coal to heat the stove to a productive level but the bugger is still burning. I push it aside and start a woodfire and the box is to a predictable and controllable 600 within a half hour. I think I could have used two of these logs with great success.

Since intalling my SS liner I have become confident in my ability to prevent overfire while burning cordwood by shutting the damper to zero. I was unable to slow the heat with the damper while burning the lignetics log and that is spooky.

I will continue to burn these logs but honestly I am leaning more towards the long and low burn of the homefire log. More testing tonight. I was initially trying to find the NI logs but the Del's feed stores were out and didn't know when they would get more.

Did I burn these properly? Is my experience typical? please advise.

Check out Begreen's thread which almost prefectly mirrors my experience. Funny I had talked with him about these and then before I read his thread, I had written my own copy though not as good.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4763/

I am pretty cheap. The homefire logs cost a buck apiece and if you need 6 or 7 a day then you are at a couple hundred bucks a month for just the stove. Understand that here in the NW we basicly don't have hardwood available except as a novelty and at very high cost. Cords of softwood cost 150-200 per cord green or dry but mostly green.

I have sourced local NI energy logs for 99 cents each. I suppose I'll pick up 5 of those too. The price per lb is quite good compared to the homefire brick.

Highbeam, glad to hear you survived. I did recommend to you to read the wiki via PM when you asked about burning these logs. Also provided links to the threads that provided caveats. No worry, your stove can handle 6-700 degrees without issue.

The Lignetics logs are safe in the hands of an educated user. They burn similarly to the WOW HE logs that I also provided you the link to. Please read the Wiki on the NI Energy logs before burning them or you will have a similar experience. These logs all have a considerable amount of btus stored in them.

PS: These are excellent prices. Where are you buying them from?

I am finding these prices froma couple of places. The Lignetics (79 cents each or 64 cents each in a pallet)and homefires(99 cents each)are from McLendons in Sumner and the NI energy logs at 99 cents apiece with no pallet discount is from the Edgewood fireplace shop. The Lucky brush fireplace shop in Puyallup also carries the NI logs but I didn't call them since the drive up South hill is ugly. On a per pound basis the lignetics and NI logs are about the same price but I am hoping that the NI logs last a lot longer. My wife got a whopping 2 hours out of a lone lignetic log today and even she was unimpressed. She then loaded up with cordwood and is cruising along now after 4 hours with plenty of heat output, she seems to really like burning.

BG: I had a short time to research these logs before trying some out yesterday. I read more of your linked info today which is when I read your wiki entry about the WOWs and found that I pretty much repeated your experiment with almost identical results. Call it independent verification. I know the stove can survive temps up to 800 but I wasn't as concerned with the actual temperature as much as my inability to slow the increase in temp. It felt like a runaway which is one of my biggest fears second only to a chimney fire. The lignetics made a very nice purple secondary burn. Your input here on the board was a great help in me trying these out.

Good tip Highbeam, I forgot about McClendons.

I can appreciate your concerns about a runaway. When one puts these logs in a hot stove on hot coals, they release their energy very quickly. There is a quick learning curve here, but in the end, I think you'll be fine burning them with respect to their burning power. By the second or third burn, you'll be achieving predictable results. I also think you'll like the NI logs. They'll expand a little, but nothing like the Lignetics. And their heat output is respectable. If starting a fire from cold, then 3 logs is a good load to learn with.

Status
Not open for further replies.