Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flem

Dec 12, 2009
Western MD
Anyone seem to notice a decrease in Lignetics quality this year? My dad and I have always burned them. This year it seems like less heat and more ash.

yes...I should have used mine for the shoulder season...dry creek are way out performing them for me.

my first year burnin pellets, tried a few brands and thought the lignetics were great, bought 4 ton and they don't burn anything like the 2 bags i tested, lots of ash and lots of carbon build up.

Last year I burned 4 ton of Lignetics and loved them. High heat output low ash. This year I ordered another 4 ton, but the bags had blue lettering and not green. Last year the lettering was green. The green bags are hard wood and the blue bags are a blend. I took the blue bags for fear of not getting any and my ghosh what a difference. The heat to me seems o.k., but the amount of ash sucks. If I buy next year it will be the hard wood.

I wanted to try Lignetics this year so I only bought 4 (hardwood) bags. My leftover Penningtons were hotter. Hardly any fines in the bag though.

The bags with the blue lettering are a hardwood and softwood mix and burn with more ash than the bags with the green lettering. IMO green bags outperformed the blue ones.

I'm using Lignetics softwood pellets and also did last year. The softwood is a great pellet but I have never been given the chance to try the hardwood. Fine ash, glass doesn't dirty as it does with my Rocky Mtns so I have to say for myself Lignetics have been great for me so far. As far as heat output goes the Lignetic are hands down compared to the Rocky Mtns. Just my .02 cents and according to some it isn't even worth that much. %-P

Burnt hardwood Ligs last year(green lettering).Noticed local TSC had Ligs(green lettering) but in fine print read harwood and conier mix. The bag looked identical as my leftovers from last season, but mine said all harwood(and were great) Seems like Ligs is having a lot of quality issues from WV. plant, which produces their so called hardwood pellets. I did not purchase any of the conifer blend, but may have to feed my pellet addiction and buy some will post results.

Stillersnut,

Us Westies don't have a choice, we have to burn the ones produced in Idaho, but they are basically softwood. They burn just fine, just don't insult them as you pour them. They may be a little more sensitive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.