Like A Used car lot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
Ive only been on here a little while and burning wood, but there are WAY to many stoves/wood burners out there. I could never keep track of what model has what features, cost, installation. Chimney or exhaust pipe. Im glad someone out there knows the facts cause I lost. Thats why Im here.

Reactions: ispinwool
Ive only been on here a little while and burning wood, but there are WAY to many stoves/wood burners out there. I could never keep track of what model has what features, cost, installation. Chimney or exhaust pipe. Im glad someone out there knows the facts cause I lost. Thats why Im here.
Let us know if you have a specific questions that can be addressed.

Lately ive been burning for a few hours, pretty hot, then let it burn out kinda, then restart it. Is that bad for creosote? We are on a monthly flue cleaning system. It only takes like 20 mins. I just am not sure about the semi short fires?

Lately ive been burning for a few hours, pretty hot, then let it burn out kinda, then restart it. Is that bad for creosote? We are on a monthly flue cleaning system. It only takes like 20 mins. I just am not sure about the semi short fires?
As long as you’re not letting the wood smolder as a trend, you should be ok. Quick fires are the way to go during the autumn and spring.

Thanks for the info. I kinda thought I wasnt the only one to burn shorter fires. It gets too warm, and it wastes wood. My house is usually cold, my Mother said it was built on an ice mine, lol...it does get chilly tho. Im in the shade most of the day, which is great in the summer, but not now. I just worried about build up. I get it up to temp as fast as I can, and some times I let it burn out to get rid of ashes.

Thanks for the info. I kinda thought I wasnt the only one to burn shorter fires. It gets too warm, and it wastes wood. My house is usually cold, my Mother said it was built on an ice mine, lol...it does get chilly tho. Im in the shade most of the day, which is great in the summer, but not now. I just worried about build up. I get it up to temp as fast as I can, and some times I let it burn out to get rid of ashes.
As long as the chimney is warm/hot during a relite you shouldn't have issues. That's the info I'd gathered on here just reading around

Reactions: BillBurns
You don’t need to let it burn out to remove ashes. Push any coals to the side and scoop the ashes out!

Thanks! Im going to try that today, or tonight, whenever I light it up. I sometimes take the hot coals out, and put them in a dutch oven. Its cast iron so im assuming its safe? I set it outside, lid basically on, on cement, out of the wind. Regular ashes go into a n ash bucket, then outside for a few hours. Then I dump them into a bag. After that, the trash. Im ALWAYS on the lookout for a hot speck of coals still lurking in there. I have seen them last basically 2 to 3 days, lol.

Reactions: PAbeech
Wow, thats a long time, thats why Im as careful as I can be I think. In a perfect world I would just have cold ashes, but it doesnt always work that way,lol

I'm not sure of your of your time frame with those ashes. But there's burning coals in there for weeks. Ashes need to go into a metal can in the yard. Empty it to a pile after weeks.

I've found coals still burning in my ashes 4 days after the fire went out.
Yes, that is totally possible. It's why a metal ash can is required and it should only be set on a non-combustible surface. I use a 10 gallon small garbage can set on top of bricks. Note that setting it outside on the ground may not be acceptable, especially if there are leaves around it.

I use a Dutch Oven and an ash bucket, metal. I take them outside, on cement, out of the wind, and let them cool down. I stir them with a stick every time I walk past them. They burn out pretty fast tho. I learned a lesson last year, I put semi hot coals into the bucket, covered it with a 2 x 12, and thought that would snuff it out. Long story short, it turned the under side into charcoal. It wasnt close to anything, but still freaked me out! NEVER again. With the dutch oven I use the lid sometimes to help snuff them out. Or if its going to rain, no muddy ash mess.