liner ans insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper698

Feb 25, 2007
I have a chimney runing through the center of my two floor house. I plan on installing
a serdiac coal stove to my fireplace and using a s/s liner. Do I also have to put insulation around the liner?

You may not need it with the chimney inside the house, but if you have room for the insulation, it can't hurt and it's relatively cheap. With your current setup do you ever get down-drafts down the chimney when there is no fire going?

Does the chase have a 1" airspace between it and the house framing? If not (90% don't) then to meet code the insualtion will be required. What brand of liner do you intend to use? I know that Olympic Forever Flex is tested so that you can install it with no insulation as long as there are exisitng clay flue tiles that are in good shape. Home saver liners require the insulation to meet code. Several others do as well.

Shane said:
Does the chase have a 1" airspace between it and the house framing? If not (90% don't) then to meet code the insualtion will be required. What brand of liner do you intend to use? I know that Olympic Forever Flex is tested so that you can install it with no insulation as long as there are exisitng clay flue tiles that are in good shape. Home saver liners require the insulation to meet code. Several others do as well.

1/2" insulation kits are rather inexpensive for the peace of mind they give, not to mention that with 1/2" insulation, most will then meet the UL 2100 deg F rating against multiple chimney fires.......

Status
Not open for further replies.