Liner discolored - bronze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SculptureOfSound

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
So I think I had a few overfires due to too much draft and too much dry pine...or at least near overfires. The only one where i could measure the actual stove top was at 820 and the other two were probably in that range but i wasnt aware as with the surround on i could only measure a spot in the air path and that read 650 and ive now found the hottest spot of the top runs 150 to 200 higher than the spot I was measuring.

Anyhow, most of my liner is rigid oval duraliner which comes pre insulated and what I can see of that (above chimney only) looks fine. There's a three foot section of flex and a round to oval flex piece and what I can see of these has discolored to bronze - it actually looks nice but I'm just curious if this is a sign of any damage or if it's normal. Highest I measured the outside of this flex was about 575 during the near over fire where the top reached 820 - not sure how hot it got on the other fires as surround was preventing me from checking.

Anyhow - is this ok? Structurally it looks ok, just the discoloration.

I know that the bronze color is normal with liner that is not preinsulated. If the outer liner of your liner is getting that bronze color, I’m not sure if that is normal or not.
I imagine that you would be okay overall as long as you are not regularly overfiring your setup

I know that the bronze color is normal with liner that is not preinsulated. If the outer liner of your liner is getting that bronze color, I’m not sure if that is normal or not.
I imagine that you would be okay overall as long as you are not regularly overfiring your setup

It is just the short uninsulated run that changed color

820 is fine. Steel doesn't melt until well north of 2500F and the first phase change doesn't even kick in until you're over 1300F. Here is an overnight run up to 880F shown on the green thermocouple read out...

The brassy/bronze color is much lower than that. Likely no more than around 500F depending on how dark the color is. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG With a stainless liner, no real worries unless it's glowing red for hours on end.

820 is fine. Steel doesn't melt until well north of 2500F and the first phase change doesn't even kick in until you're over 1300F. Here is an overnight run up to 880F shown on the green thermocouple read out...

The brassy/bronze color is much lower than that. Likely no more than around 500F depending on how dark the color is. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.JPG With a stainless liner, no real worries unless it's glowing red for hours on end.

820 is definitely heading to a zone where damage can begin occurring, so I wouldn’t say it’s altogether “fine”. occasionally hitting that temp is lmgoing to happen but should not be the norm.