Liner install ? at damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bd234

Feb 6, 2010
Gaithersburg, MD
Hi all,

Have an Englander 30-nch on the way and am on the cusp of purchasing a liner kit when I ran into this thing. See pic. Note - the house was built in 1895 but the chimney and clay flue from the ground look new. Any advice on what to do to the damper/smoke shelf to fit a 6" insulated liner in? My husband has the tools to weld/torch/cut this to open it up if that's the only way.

Thanks in advance,
Bridgette

Attachments

• IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 166
Most people use a Sawzall with metal cutting blade. After shaking out a couple of teeth I just went and grabbed my Skill saw and a metal blade and the stuff cut like slightly cold butter.

I just got done doing this to my fireplace. Used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel.

I like to give it a couple whacks with a hammer as sometimes you can loosen it up and take it out in one piece.
If that doesn't work, grinder with cutting wheel makes quick work of it.

+2 on the angle grinder and cut-off wheel. I used it on both of mine!

You need to cut the damper out and make room for the stainless liner.

I had to use a small demo hammer on one to get the liner in place - had to remove some of the fire shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.