Liner install help needed. Crimping!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabills

Nov 7, 2016
LeRoy, NY
Hello all. I bought a 6 inch liner for my 8 inch grandpa bear woodstove. I don't forsee any draft problems after doing some research. My question is about crimping. I have an 8 inch adapter/reducer uncrimped that I need to connect to stove. Then this goes to a 6 inch that connects to a 6 inch snout that ultimately goes to the liner. These 2 connections are not crimped yet. My question is if I crimp to fit the two 8 inch pieces together do I need to screw in to the stove? I'd rather not drill holes in it. As for the 6 inch connection I don't really see an issue putting three metal screws there. I only crimp the male ends and point them towards the stove, correct? My question is there an alternative solution to using screws or is that what you all would recommend using? Thanks.

Having the crimped ends (male) pointing towards the stove is correct. Using screws is the preferred method of making the attachment, sometimes just the weight of the liner or pipe may be enough, but I do not recommend that if you can get screws to hold it into place, for safety reasons, you definitely do not want it to separate.

Thanks for the reply. So I'd screw it in from the outside of stove pipe into the liner that is on the inside of the vent pipe.

Correct, by code, connectors and joints should be fastened with sheet metal screws or rivets

Hello all. I bought a 6 inch liner for my 8 inch grandpa bear woodstove. I don't forsee any draft problems after doing some research.
Well I hope you are right I have seen draft problems more often than not in this situation. But yes you need all connections with the male part pointing to the stove so crimped into the stove collar is right and yes it needs attached with screws. Now what type of liner did you get if it is light wall you should not screw it fast you should have the correct adapter for that liner that will attach with a clamp. If it is heavy wall you can just screw or rivet it.

Mine has this pipe adapter that goes into the stove neck, I don't think its screwed down, but everything above it is.
myfisher3.jpg
myfisher.jpg
myfisher2.jpg

Flex king hd. Where the liner attaches it is a hose clamp.
That is heavy wall you could just screw or rivet it but if you have an adapter with a clam that is fine to.

Status
Not open for further replies.