liner insulation burning??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
Ok I just did a reload and got up to step down the air and I noticed a strange smell. I got a flashlight and looked inside the fireplace and saw whisps of white smoke only with the flashlight. I got the wifes hand mirror and looked up the chimney and saw more "smoke" and also some pieces of slightly charred insulation on the smoke shelf and fireplace floor. I ran outside and looked up at the chimney no smoke no flames nothing. I go back inside and look up again now theres no smoke everything looks fine and normal. What could be happening is it possible that the liner is just heating up and steaming a little? Could there be a fire up in the chimney where I cant see it? I've noticed something like this before but dismissed it because I had just had the stove door open.

Sounds like some old creosote flaked off and took some insulation with it on the way down. You never get it all out of a chimney. Especially in the tile joints. That block off plate you should have in there would have caught it.

I haven't got a block off plate in yet I was planning on doing that this summer. I saw the smoke and got worried.

James thats a good thought there was a funny smell around too.

Status
Not open for further replies.