Liner insulation tearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotom1052

Jan 14, 2015
vermont
Hey guys,
in my attempts at installing my chimney liner I've run into a few snags that I need advise on. Im using a flexible 6 inch stainless liner that I purchased along with the required foil backed insulation wrap. Ive wrapped the liner with the insulation following the directions included. I followed up by pulling the steel mesh sock over the wrapped liner and affixing the sock with included hose clamps on both ends. In trying to move the liner into position to guide into the top of the chimney flue. It was required to put a decent arch into the liner to go down the flue pipe. I noticed that after trying to arch the liner the foil backing on the insulation blanket wound up tearing in a couple of spots. It didn't take very much bending at all to cause the foil to crack exposing the insulation. Is this to be expected and can I safely proceed with the install which will surely split the foil backing even more?

I'm not an expert. But I would have no problem with a few small splits or small tears. As long as it's mainly intact its going to do its job. As long as there arent large portions of liner exposed you should be fine.

That happens sometimes. It means you needed an extra hand up on the roof!

Reactions: bholler
but can I still use it torn in a few places? Or do i need to re wrap it with new insulation, and do it somehow differently? The only way I can see me dropping this thing STRAIGHT down my chimney, without putting a little bit of an arc in it ,would be to rent a 50 plus foot boom and lift it way above the chimney, and lower it straight down.

A few little tears in the foil won't hurt anything really. It happens..
It takes some experience to prevent it from happening, it's all in the technique!

Status
Not open for further replies.