Liner question, insulated pipe or regular black pipe???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baston8005

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2007
East of Hartford, CT
I am going to install a wood stove in my existing fireplace and would like to know if it is really nessary to install the insulated pipe up the fifteen foot chimney($80-$90 a yard) or can I use the black stove pipe instead? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Brett]
Hebron CT.

Are you talking about a stainless steel liner with a insulation wrap? You can buy 25' liner kits on E-Bay for under $300. Black stove pipe is against code and would rust out and fall apart giving you a mess in a year or two.

Do it right the first time and use the proper components. The insulation may not be required, but in most cases it is. If not using insulation you want to use a SS liner at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.