Liner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crowinghen

Oct 2, 2012
We are considering BK Princess insert. A recommended installer gave us a quote. After reading several posts here, and the owners manual, I inquired about an insulated liner. They were adamant that it isn't necessary, but the Owner's manual strongly recommends it. They quoted me about 2k for the upgraded liner ( vs 350 or so for what they normally use ( currently it's on sale for 1/ 2 off, so it usually runs 700 or so) He was very reluctant to give me a quote but eventually said the price .
Does that seem right? Seems like a lot, but I guess I don't know much about this subject.
A quick search brought me to this:

https://www.woodlanddirect.com/hybr...736&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=pepperjam

Is this a good option?
Don't want to spend money unnecessarily, but also want a safe , well functioning insert. Our home is a rambler, approx 15 feet height from floor to top of chimney.
Thanks in advance!

Find out what they're using. I'd hate to compare a Kia and a Rolls Royce on price alone.

Reactions: crowinghen
Also, 15' from floor to the top of the chimney is not enough; the manual stat s 15' from the top of the stove (and more if you have bends and horizontal sections).

I’d use a different installer. Right off the bat, they’re balking at manual recommendations/guidelines. The insulation is there to meet code to allow liner to be safely be put in the existing chimney. He’s just trying to do less work, I’d go with another pro.

It doesn't sound like they are very experienced at installing insulated liners. Best to find someone who is experienced if possible.

I can have a liner insulated in about 20 minutes, I think the kit we use costs $250 or so. 2K extra is ridiculous! What size is the flue tile? It could be that this price includes removing your clay tile to make room for the insulated liner.

I can have a liner insulated in about 20 minutes, I think the kit we use costs $250 or so. 2K extra is ridiculous! What size is the flue tile? It could be that this price includes removing your clay tile to make room for the insulated liner.
Even then 2k more is excessive

What kind of kit do you use?
They haven't even seen our home/chimney yet, the quote was sight unseen. But there is plenty of room in the flue.

Thanks!

We get it from a company named National chimney supply. They don’t sell to the public though.

What is up with stove installers???
I contact people say exactly what I want- 15 foot insulated liner above my woodstove insert.
EVERY time they come back with a quote that is for an uninsulated liner, saying you don't need that, that's not necessary... blah blah
Even though we are very explicit that is what we want, it's like pulling teeth to get even a quote for the set up we want, we will even do the install, we just want the product. the stove manufacturers highly recommend the insulated liner, but who in the heck can get one?

done venting.
anyone else have this problem?

What is up with stove installers???
I contact people say exactly what I want- 15 foot insulated liner above my woodstove insert.
EVERY time they come back with a quote that is for an uninsulated liner, saying you don't need that, that's not necessary... blah blah
Even though we are very explicit that is what we want, it's like pulling teeth to get even a quote for the set up we want, we will even do the install, we just want the product. the stove manufacturers highly recommend the insulated liner, but who in the heck can get one?

done venting.
anyone else have this problem?
Yeah lots of "installers" don't care about performance or code compliance. They just want to get the job done as quick and easy as possible so they can get to the next install. Keep looking I am sure there is someone doing it right.