Liner recommendation for Wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bob171

Oct 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Hello all. First off of like to apologize if this has already been discussed to death. I did some research and it prompted me to join the forum! I'm looking at installing a wood hot air furnace to heat my house. The house has no system in it as of current but had a Newmac wood oil furnace in it. The chimney is hammered from the previous owner and quickest solution is a liner. It's a Terra Cotta lined interior chimney. I was looking at a 6" hybrid flex 6" 316ti insulated smooth wall liner. I was contemplating a Ridgid liner as it's a straight shot but unsure of ease of installation. The house has electric heat and the furnace company is out straight trying to get a gas unit in. I figured I could get this in and be burning the same day. https://www.woodlanddirect.com/hybr...eCl8zveYoYcF2lRGLvzrwiGFHCKc4CnIaAoNkEALw_wcB
My question is anyone use this liner? Also I assume this will be sufficient for a wood furnace set up for 6" pipe? Thank you for any help!

What's the ID of your existing liner?
Any qualms about this liner @bholler ?

Nope it's good liner. For that furnace I would go heavy wall but midweight will be ok
Thanks for the input! In my research on here I've noticed you are the "liner guy". The Newmac is gone. I would be looking at a woodchuck or an Englander or some to that nature as an add on to my gas system whenever they decide to call me back

Thanks for the input! In my research on here I've noticed you are the "liner guy". The Newmac is gone. I would be looking at a woodchuck or an Englander or some to that nature as an add on to my gas system whenever they decide to call me back
I'd pick the Englander over the Woodchuck any day...or consider a new Drolet Heat Commander?

I'd pick the Englander over the Woodchuck any day...or consider a new Drolet Heat Commander?
Funny you say that. I was looking at the heat commanders! They got really good reviews from what I've seen. I'm still up in the air. Im kinda late in trying to get something going here. There is an Englander not to far away from me. The kid repainted it it looks like and it's kinda got me weary.

There is an Englander not to far away from me. The kid repainted it it looks like and it's kinda got me weary.
A 28-3500? Those a pretty simple and semi bullet proof...if you go over it and don't see any cracks or warped/overheated metal, and the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid of it...even if it needs some firebrick replaced, not a big deal really. Wanna make sure the blower runs too...those are a couple hundred bucks, at least...haven't priced one like that for a while now.
As far as the Heat Commander...these guys could have you one there this week.

A 28-3500? Those a pretty simple and semi bullet proof...if you go over it and don't see any cracks or warped/overheated metal, and the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid of it...even if it needs some firebrick replaced, not a big deal really. Wanna make sure the blower runs too...those are a couple hundred bucks, at least...haven't priced one like that for a while now.
As far as the Heat Commander...these guys could have you one there this week.
Yes that's the model! Good to know. I may try to contact him to see if it's still available. Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out if this falls through.

Yes that's the model! Good to know. I may try to contact him to see if it's still available. Thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out if this falls through.
Just FYI, those things were really pretty cheap new...$800-1200 depending on when it was bought and where...I see used ones pop up for $3-500 around here every now and again. There are a ton of them out there, they sold well, and for a long time.

Just FYI, those things were really pretty cheap new...$800-1200 depending on when it was bought and where...I see used ones pop up for $3-500 around here every now and again. There are a ton of them out there, they sold well, and for a long time.
Good to know. This guy wants 950 and like I said looks like it's been painted. Looks like the glass has been replaced with a steel plate or it's been spray painted too.

Good to know. This guy wants 950 and like I said looks like it's been painted. Looks like the glass has been replaced with a steel plate or it's been spray painted too.
Sounds pretty strong on the price...and the steel plate, hmm...it may replace the window, or its a really old model that was "pre window"...the painting by itself wouldn't bother me that much, as long as it is a good job anyways...

Sounds pretty strong on the price...and the steel plate, hmm...it may replace the window, or its a really old model that was "pre window"...the painting by itself wouldn't bother me that much, as long as it is a good job anyways...
The date code is on the stove and it says 2006 I believe. I figure I'd give it another few days and try and hit him at $500. I will definitely have to go take a look and see what is going on.

The date code is on the stove and it says 2006 I believe. I figure I'd give it another few days and try and hit him at $500. I will definitely have to go take a look and see what is going on.
Yeah if its that old and has no window glass, $500 would be my absolute max...there was one popped up around here a few weeks ago that looked like it was hardly used for $450...another one last week that was a little more used for $300...I have a co-worker that is looking for one, that's the only reason I've noticed them.
Oh, and there is a PSG Caddy furnace listed on FBMP in W. VA that says "free, you remove"...been marked pending all weekend now, so dunno what the deal is there...great deal if its not junk!
A 3 YO Kuuma VF100 just popped up on FBMP near Pittsburgh for $4500, if you feel like a road trip, and wanna step up to the big leagues ;)

Last edited:
Yeah if its that old and has no window glass, $500 would be my absolute max...there was one popped up around here a few weeks ago that looked like it was hardly used for $450...another one last week that was a little more used for $300...I have a co-worker that is looking for one, that's the only reason I've noticed them.
Oh, and there is a PSG Caddy furnace listed on FBMP in W. VA that says "free, you remove"...been marked pending all weekend now, so dunno what the deal is there...great deal if its not junk!
A 3 YO Kuuma VF100 just popped up on FBMP near Pittsburgh for $4500, if you feel like a road trip, and wanna step up to the big leagues ;)
Ohh boy! There was a Yukon Eagle all set up for propane that was barely used with a saw and wood caddy for $2900 in New York. That would be my ideal set up! I'll have to go take a look at the Englander for now to get me going this season.

There was a Yukon Eagle all set up for propane that was barely used with a saw and wood caddy for $2900 in New York
Save your money and get the HC...I had a Yukon and unless you have a big enough (or leaky enough) house to let it stretch its legs a little, they are dirty burners compared to the new stuff...and wood hogs if you do let 'em eat.
If the Englander is big enough to do the job for you, the Yukon would have been waaay overkill.

Reactions: sloeffle
Hello all. First off of like to apologize if this has already been discussed to death. I did some research and it prompted me to join the forum! I'm looking at installing a wood hot air furnace to heat my house. The house has no system in it as of current but had a Newmac wood oil furnace in it. The chimney is hammered from the previous owner and quickest solution is a liner. It's a Terra Cotta lined interior chimney. I was looking at a 6" hybrid flex 6" 316ti insulated smooth wall liner. I was contemplating a Ridgid liner as it's a straight shot but unsure of ease of installation. The house has electric heat and the furnace company is out straight trying to get a gas unit in. I figured I could get this in and be burning the same day. https://www.woodlanddirect.com/hybr...eCl8zveYoYcF2lRGLvzrwiGFHCKc4CnIaAoNkEALw_wcB
My question is anyone use this liner? Also I assume this will be sufficient for a wood furnace set up for 6" pipe? Thank you for any help!
Just adding my 2cents. I installed a flex liner for a buddy last week. It was a straight shot down (terra cotta lined) a 7"x12" opening. The 6" flex made for a super tight fit (uninsulated). There were some lips along the way. It was a nightmare. I had to twist the pipe an inch at a time to get it to drop (with someone pulling at the bottom). It took us about 3 - 4 hours and my arms were noodles by the end. I wouldn't assume that a rigid is going to be more difficult. In our case, a rigid liner would have been much easier to install since it would have had plenty of room on the sides to slide right in.

In our case, a rigid liner would have been much easier to install since it would have had plenty of room on the sides to slide right in.
Maybe...unless there are offsets and mortar sticking out on opposite sides that makes for an issue for a rigid pipe...screw some 6" stove pipe together and lower that down the flue to check clearances before ordering a rigid liner...and insulation is highly recommended.

Reactions: sleewok
Hey guys thought I'd update. I've been super busy lately. I received my liner and there was no way it was going down the hole without smashing the old liner out. Also I didn't realize there was a smoke shelf in the way. I ended up having to return it. I'm thinking I might have to settle for a pellet caddy with a 4" liner. The chimney guy will be coming out in the spring to assess the flue and see if there is any salvaging it. I just wanna say thank you for all the helpful information!

Reactions: sleewok