Liner Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyr_2000

Oct 28, 2008
Southern Indiana
What kind of temps do you normally have on an uninsulated chimney liner? Whats to high? I know its really a matter of installation and insulation but I was just curious.

Surface temp or internal flue temp?

Mine is insulated by that doesn't really change the safe operating temps. I personally try to never exceed 850F internal flue temp. It happens, but not on purpose. I really like to see it at about 600F for a while, then taper down as the stove settles in for a nice long fire. I try to keep the stack temp above 400F, unless the fire is in the coaling stages of life. Thats just my approach. By the way, I inspect the stack annually, but usually only clean every 2 years. Even at that, I get about 2 palm fulls of dry, fluffy stuff from it.

WOW, I didn't realize it would be that high. OK one more question, I installed my insert last year and am fairly happy considering its a cheap Century insert. I didn't put a block off plate in on an exterior chimney and I have read here how much it helps, I guess I just don't understand how it helps so much. If someone could explain that to me, I am considering taking the unit out this weekend to install a plate but I want to understand and be sure it will be worth the work.

I keep mine minimum 300F when there is a yellow flame. Blue flame or coals I don't really care what it is. Get couple handfuls as above out of a 22ft of pipe.

I did an insulated liner and a block off plate. My top plate was actually leaking. I used rockwool around the top and sealed it up, then rockwool by the damper and a block off plate. The fire temps increased dramatically, I can damper it down more for longer burns, it is safer witht he plate installed and I sleep better at night. I used to seal around the surround...now heat pours in around the surround and from the blower. It has only gotten down to 30 by me so it will be more apparent the colder it gets! Good luck.

troyr_2000 said:
WOW, I didn't realize it would be that high. OK one more question, I installed my insert last year and am fairly happy considering its a cheap Century insert. I didn't put a block off plate in on an exterior chimney and I have read here how much it helps, I guess I just don't understand how it helps so much. If someone could explain that to me, I am considering taking the unit out this weekend to install a plate but I want to understand and be sure it will be worth the work.

Now keep in mind that the numbers I was posting is internal flue temp, not surface. But yep, I think most people would agree in those numbers as a generality.

A block off plate works by keeping the heat from the stove inside of the house, not going up your chimney. I personally would not want to try and heat up a bunch of masonry that is subjected to the outside. The issue is amplified when the outside temps are colder.

Status
Not open for further replies.