Liner through damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Was wondering if any issues can occur when a flex liner is making contact with edge of damper area while stove is operating normally. I don't mean if the liner is smashed against it but just up against it. Would the constant expanding and contracting of liner eventually damage the liner if up against edge of damper? While my liner is insulated, the insulation begins just above that spot in liner.

If it is rubbing against the damper I would take an angle grinder and cut the damper back a bit in that area.

I just thought of how my installer used a fire retardant insulation in damper area. If I was able to stick a bit of that insulation behind liner in that area, would that suffice?not sure how much give the liner would have for me to do that.

Ok, I thought you were in the process of self-installing. You'll have to judge the flex. Is this kaowool (white) insulation?

The insulation is like an off white color, in that ballpark and listed on quote as " fire retardant" by Installer. If left as is, do you think the liner (heavy wall) would be fine anyway?