Liner Worth Trying to Save?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flush 5

Dec 4, 2022
VT
A03ED48A-22E1-4E17-910D-8D7B0F458674.jpeg

Turns out burning wet wood is bad…

I think we’re lucky the house is still standing. I’m pretty sure this is just the drippings at the bottom of the liner from the real plug at the roof line, which couldn’t even be pierced with a rod.

Finally got a chimney sweep to come take a look, and he suggested I treat with Cre-Away. Use the whole bottle, a little each day over two weeks, then he’d come back to clean it.

I’m pretty sure my old Intrepid 1 (1302) manual says to never use chemicals in the stove or chimney, but obviously people do it. What’s the thinking here? Would you try to treat or just replace the whole liner?

I'd get a second opinion on that. I don't see how a metal rod would not be able to break through that. Then they take the rotation rod with chain and knock the rest of it out and go from there. Just IMO, I'm not a professional sweep by any means but I've had it done that way before some years ago.

View attachment 304522

Turns out burning wet wood is bad…

I think we’re lucky the house is still standing. I’m pretty sure this is just the drippings at the bottom of the liner from the real plug at the roof line, which couldn’t even be pierced with a rod.

Finally got a chimney sweep to come take a look, and he suggested I treat with Cre-Away. Use the whole bottle, a little each day over two weeks, then he’d come back to clean it.

I’m pretty sure my old Intrepid 1 (1302) manual says to never use chemicals in the stove or chimney, but obviously people do it. What’s the thinking here? Would you try to treat or just replace the whole liner?
Is it a light wall, heavy wall, or rigid liner? If it's light wall I don't see any way to get it clean

I'd get a second opinion on that. I don't see how a metal rod would not be able to break through that. Then they take the rotation rod with chain and knock the rest of it out and go from there. Just IMO, I'm not a professional sweep by any means but I've had it done that way before some years ago.
Thanks for the encouragement! This picture is from the thimble, I was actually able to clean most of that out. My landlord was up on the roof trying to break through the creosote plug, which is about 4’ down from the cap. We aren’t pro’s either so he wanted to call one in when he realized how bad it is.

Is it a light wall, heavy wall, or rigid liner? If it's light wall I don't see any way to get it clean
I’m not sure actually. When I swept last year I could see that it was ribbed and it seemed pretty sturdy while sweeping.

You mean that a light-walled liner wouldn’t likely survive the kind of physical or chemical treatment this level of creosote requires?

I’m not sure actually. When I swept last year I could see that it was ribbed and it seemed pretty sturdy while sweeping.

You mean that a light-walled liner wouldn’t likely survive the kind of physical or chemical treatment this level of creosote requires?
Ribbed means it's probably light wall. And no I doubt it would survive the process of cleaning the chimney

Reactions: Flush 5