Lining a fire pit with sheet metal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bills123

Dec 28, 2016
New England
I want to build a fire pit with concrete blocks from Lowes. They sell a kit for $200 that includes 3 rows of pavers and a metal (black paint coated) fire ring https://www.lowes.com/pd/43-5-in-W-x-43-5-in-L-Ashland-Concrete-Firepit-Kit/4686367. This fire ring accounts for $100 of the overall price, and is only about 4 or 5 inches high and is designed to prevent the heat from the fire from cracking the top 4-5 inches of concrete block.

I'd rather buy the concrete block forms and arrange the circular pit, and line it with something cheaper. I also know that the Lowes ring would rust out within a few months. Would lining the pit with galvanized sheet metal provide enough of a shield to keep the block from getting too hot? Or would this be a wasted effort?

I have a coleman with a bottom metal pan and raised grate in the bottom. It has a glass enamel finish. 15 years old and it looks good. Mine has a cover to keep the rain out. I would use a removable pan so you can dump the ash out. I don't think you need there kit as you can buy the perimeter pavers.

I used an old split ring wheel off
a transport trailer . Works great as a fire ring
and has not rusted out in 12 years

Why do you need to line a fire pit? Mine's a pretty ring of stones on dirt. Dirt doesn't burn or rust.

firepit1.jpg

You would burn the coating off the tin pretty quick then the rust will take the rest. How about lining it with fire brick,thats what its made for.

I see old tire rims being used in state parks and campground and they seem to work well.

Reactions: E$85
Amazon sells a heavy ring with a swing away grill top for around a hundred. its pretty heavy so i assume it would last awhile. Anything thin wont last long unless its stainless steel .

Last edited: