Lion Pellet Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff2112

Aug 24, 2019
Newport Ctr, Vt
I've finished off one side of my garage into a workshop. It's about 220 sq ft. I'm looking for something for heat and on the unfinished side of the new wall rest 6 tons of pellets, with a another 3 ton 50' away in the house attached pellet shed, I thought another stove might be the answer. Of course most any stove out there would roast me out. I stumbled across the Lion Energy Pellet Heater. They appear to be in the emergency/survival business. Never heard of them and there's not much for reviews on the web and none I can find here. Checking their site has got me also pondering a solar panel/battery setup to run a small space heater. I'm on the Quebec border in Vermont. The new shop is insulated with R30 in the ceiling and R21 the rest of the way around. Here's the link to the pellet stove: https://lionenergy.com/collections/accessories/products/lion-pellet-heater

What do you know?

Wish I had an answer for you but, unfortunately, I don't. However, I'll offer some comments. I read everything on their website. Too bad there's not a lot there. Of course, it's all marketing hype. I did not see where the stove was made. China? USA? Might be good to know. Is there a certified/trained dealer in your area. I will say it's a good looking stove, especially for a shop and at 100 lbs. easily movable. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

I sent a message to Lion Energy and here are their replies:

Where's the pellet heater made and if it's made by a separate company, who? Does it come with any sort of vent pipe or air intake pipe? What's in the box besides the stove? Thanks.

Thank you for contacting Lion Energy. That is a great question; the box for the Pellet Stove contains a display and the vent flange also there is a remote control for the stove and some hardware to mount the display. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Great, that answers the second question, how about the first one : Where's the pellet heater made and if it's made by a separate company, who?
Somewhere I've heard you have a hopper extender? Is this true, where would I find it and how much does it hold?

My apologies for not answering your first question! Our Pellet Heater is made by Lion Energy and is manufactured in China.
Unfortunately, we do not offer a hopper extender.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s made in the same plant that makes the castle stove and the comfortbuilt. I bet it’s even the same control board. It’s a cute little stove but how long do you think 10lbs of pellets will last you?

Not very long and there's the main problem. Guess I'll just have to grab one of the usual used suspects off FB Marketplace or CL with a thermostat and turn it down as much as possible. It won't be the end of the world if it goes out if I'm not in there, the workshop shop is for pinball machine repair, so even though I'd like to keep constant heat, they'll survive.

Not very long and there's the main problem. Guess I'll just have to grab one of the usual used suspects off FB Marketplace or CL with a thermostat and turn it down as much as possible. It won't be the end of the world if it goes out if I'm not in there, the workshop shop is for pinball machine repair, so even though I'd like to keep constant heat, they'll survive.
You could do a castle

I seem to be circling around to Castle, mainly for price, because this is only a tiny workshop. How low can the temp be set for? It appears the stove isn't set for specific temps, just a low to high scale. I'd like it to run around 50 for the time I'm not using the place and I worry at 220 sq ft, no pellet stove will be able to be stay low enough to not blast me out. Do I have unreasonable expectations? I see the Serenity can be had for $899 at Tractor Supply. Are there usually any upcoming discounts or does anyone know of somewhere with better pricing?

I seem to be circling around to Castle, mainly for price, because this is only a tiny workshop. How low can the temp be set for? It appears the stove isn't set for specific temps, just a low to high scale. I'd like it to run around 50 for the time I'm not using the place and I worry at 220 sq ft, no pellet stove will be able to be stay low enough to not blast me out. Do I have unreasonable expectations? I see the Serenity can be had for $899 at Tractor Supply. Are there usually any upcoming discounts or does anyone know of somewhere with better pricing?
Castles don’t shut down completely on temp mode so I would avoid unless you think you can manage by using the program function to have it kick on and off for specific time slots. For that size and for that low of a temperature I would put a lp plaque heater in, but if your set on a pellet stove, try a Heatilator PS50. Same company as Harman and Quadrafire, just a cheaper package run off a cheap thermostat.

Interesting thread. We noticed the Lion stove on the market over the summer, and saw that it was uncertified and had no reliable emissions, efficiency or turn down ratio data. We called them up, and they seemed to know that it was illegal to sell and they seem to be trying to fly under the radar. They are probably a low volume importer - maybe selling a few hundred units? Just a guess. Not sure if the EPA has the bandwidth to contact small importers like this. But we worry if more folks see the EPA sitting back and doing little, that is cojuld encourage more folks to try to fly under the radar, and take sales away from the manufacturers who play by the rules. If we had a bit more resources, we could buy one and test it with a Testo 320 that gives you CO and efficiency and you can get a general idea of PM. We have a call with EPA to ask them more specifically about their enforcement capabilities and strategies later today.