List of Backventing stoves that will fit a 22.5" wide hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yawiney

Dec 20, 2011
West Sonoma County, CA
I'm wanting to put a stove on the hearth.
Wondering what options i have.
Currently the insert is removed and the center of the elbow coming from the chimney is about 21" ht. from the hearth. Box space starts about 6.5" up from the hearth and is 37" wide from the beginning narrowing to 28" wide where the elbow is.
I think the Regency hearth heater will fit, but wondering if there are other options to consider. Hopefully something with a bigger firebox.
Possibly the Hearthstone hearth mount?
Others?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Is there nothing out there that fits on a small hearth and could back vent into a pre-fab fireplace other than the Regency?
Was hoping to get a list of suggestions here.
really hoping something with a bigger firebox would be mentioned.
Anyone?

Is there nothing out there that fits on a small hearth and could back vent into a pre-fab fireplace other than the Regency?
Was hoping to get a list of suggestions here.
really hoping something with a bigger firebox would be mentioned.
Anyone?
Some of the experts will reply. At the start of the season, it is very busy on this site.

What is the lintel height of the fireplace? What is the width of the fireplace opening, 36" or 22"?

Have you thought about installing an insert without the surround?

Last edited:
What is the lintel height of the fireplace? What is the width of the fireplace opening, 36" or 22"?

Have you thought about installing an insert without the surround?
The width is 36". It's about a 21" height from the floor of the fireplace to the top, but there is part of the metal framing just after the opening that comes down making that spot only 20" high.
You mean a flush insert like the Quadrature 2700i that had bee there previously?
it would be the easy solution, but such a smaller firebox. I'm wanting to maximize the amount of heat.
Also thinking by it being in the room more the heat would come out further.
Would like to stay with wood but iv'e been hearing that gas could put out more heat for the small size. Is this true?

The Enviro Kodiak 1700 may work.

The Enviro Kodiak 1700 may work.

If it doesn't have to get all the way to the back it could. The back of my zero clearance FP is 21" wide so it would be 1" away from being flush.
i'm fine with that. the back of the pipe coming down is about 2' from the back of the FP.
The dimensions on their site doesn't show inches that the vent is from the back or front of the stove top.
it looks like top vent only on all the enviro stuff.
Definitely a bigger firebox than other inserts that i know will fit.
The local dealer has them too.

So far after much research, only a couple free-standing stoves will work for sure and only a few inserts.
My installer is advising against the enviro due to the difficulty of installation since we are not sure the pipe will line up without the insert going all the way in.
The freestanding i have so far are the Hearthstone Homestead and hearth mount.
Any other suggestions that could fit a 23" wide hearth and have rear vent at a low enough height to make the 20" height from the hearth to the midpoint of my elbow coming down the chimney?
Inserts that will fit for sure are Quad 2700i, Kuma Aspen, Regency Hearth Heater(kind of a cross), Ironstrike Stiker C160.
Would love to get input on an or all of these.
Was leaning towards the Hearth Heater but i've started hearing Regency isn't as durable as others.

What is the make and model of the fireplace?

Is it hb36a? If so it clearly says on page 21 no inserts

Not sure, really hard to tell if it's a 9 or 8 or even maybe a 3 there, but It did have that Quad insert in it before.
That does not mean it should have been there. Have you had the whole system inspected?

The installer that put in the Isle Royale for me was the one who had done the insert for the previous owners.
The chimney has the double walled pipe all the way up. I was under the impression that the insert was done properly.
Possible that it wasn't supposed to be put in but it worked out for them for years.
I had the Isle Royale out in the rm below the hearth back venting into that same pipe for the last 8 years.
I moved it out to the studio and now want to get something that won't come out into the room like that if possible.

The installer that put in the Isle Royale for me was the one who had done the insert for the previous owners.
The chimney has the double walled pipe all the way up. I was under the impression that the insert was done properly.
Possible that it wasn't supposed to be put in but it worked out for them for years.
I had the Isle Royale out in the rm below the hearth back venting into that same pipe for the last 8 years.
I moved it out to the studio and now want to get something that won't come out into the room like that if possible.
How are you venting into the pipe for the zero clearance fireplace from behind? Regardless the chimney for a zero clearance fireplace probably isnt rated for the heat of a woodstove.

Ok never mind i get what you were saying it was sitting on the floor infront of the hearth. But is it just venting through the zero clearance fireplace chimney?

Yes. It is in there again temporarily until i figure out what i can get that will work. Either on the hearth back venting this time or an insert.
The Isle Royale will go out in my studio and just top vent straight up.
Being used to the heat of the Isle Royale in the house, i'm trying to get the most heat out of whatever will actually work with my zc fireplace.

Yes. It is in there again temporarily until i figure out what i can get that will work. Either on the hearth back venting this time or an insert.
The Isle Royale will go out in my studio and just top vent straight up.
Being used to the heat of the Isle Royale in the house, i'm trying to get the most heat out of whatever will actually work with my zc fireplace.
If it is just venting through the chimney for the zc you are really asking for trouble they are not designed to handle a woodstove or insert.

If it is just venting through the chimney for the zc you are really asking for trouble they are not designed to handle a woodstove or insert.
The stove back vent goes to a double walled horizontal pipe which has a very slight incline into the elbow pipe that then goes up through the chimney. Pretty sure this was done right. It's going through double walled pipe the whole way.

The Isle Royale is temporary in that place anyway.
I'd really like to get some opinions on my options that fit my situation without taking up space in the room.
Anyone have experience with the Kuma Aspen or the Regency hearth heater?

The stove back vent goes to a double walled horizontal pipe which has a very slight incline into the elbow pipe that then goes up through the chimney. Pretty sure this was done right. It's going through double walled pipe the whole way.
Is there a pipe inside the old chimney or is it just venting directly into the chimney?

Oh, you thought it was venting direct into the chimney. Got it. No, it's in pipe the whole way that was run originally for the 2700i.
That's what i meant by the elbow that comes down into the fireplace. Sorry that wasn't very clear from what i wrote.

IMG_6575.jpg
This is it with the Isle Royale removed.

Last edited by a moderator: