Little help with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TwiceWarmed

Apr 9, 2019
Upstate, NY
Cut this up today, hoping to confirm ID of what it is, any help would be appreciated,thanks.
0124201719a.jpg0124201711.jpg0124201710.jpg

Cottonwood , what does it smell like?

Reactions: jackatc1
I would say we need a different sample to look at . We have red oak, red maple , cotton wood, hickory, ash . I think if it’s cotton wood it smells like piss.

Reactions: jackatc1 and tadmaz
I just posted an ID the other day and looked the exact same. Everyone said black walnut. Google imagine black walnut split. Bet ya it will look like exactly what you have.

It is not black walnut. I say hickory.

Reactions: nrford
Hickory has a very thin bark

i think i would vote on the hickory side

That pic of mine is fresh split black walnut. Wet dark wood.
It is possible that yours is black walnut that has dried a little and the grain is not so dark.
The bark on yours looks just like black walnut.

Thank you all for the responses, hadn't checked this in a few days. The wood was cut with chainsaw and split on the same day the picture was posted. Smelled like manure when split, which initially made me think red oak or pignut. Was looking for a consensus opinion here to confirm that I'll be putting it into the 2-3 yr pile & not with the ash. Also split easily with splitting axe.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Black walnut has a freaky smell, hard to describe. Sour smell. It is weird, but I like it.

Thank you all for the responses, hadn't checked this in a few days. The wood was cut with chainsaw and split on the same day the picture was posted. Smelled like manure when split, which initially made me think red oak or pignut. Was looking for a consensus opinion here to confirm that I'll be putting it into the 2-3 yr pile & not with the ash. Also split easily with splitting axe.
Only woods I've ever split that smelled like manure were Hickory and at times some Oak, but mostly Hickory.

Now that you mention it, I have split oak that smells like manure. Lots of it does, especially red oak.