Loading door temp - Woodstock classic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgesek

Jan 2, 2015
CT
Hi guys. This is my first season burning wood and I have a few questions. I have an older Woodstock Classic soapstone stove(pre-cat) and I've already started burning nights and weekends here in CT. It seems that most people put a thermometer on the stovetop but I've noticed that the cast iron around the loading door is often 100degF hotter than the top(cast iron or soapstone). Am I going to overfire the stove by going by the top temp?

Also, I have at least the minimum side clearance(18") but I noticed the wall nearest the loading door got up to 120degF last night. Is that too hot? I could add another stove board to that wall if I had to but I would rather not.

Thanks,
Chris
20151019_201024.jpg

Hi Chris, I have a Woodstock Classic in the lower level our home that looks just like yours. However, you said your stove is a pre-cat stove, which I'm not familiar with. When I lift the top lid on my Classic there is a 6" diameter catalytic cumbostor that you slide back and forth over a similar size hole to engage the cat using a rod that protrudes out the rear of the stove. You start your fires with the cat pulled off the hole so that the exhaust gasses can pass directly through the hole and out the flue. You put a thermometer on the top of the stove directly over the area where the hole/cat are located. Once the thermometer reads 300F the stove is hot enough to engage the cat and you push the rod in, which slides the cat over the hole. When you reload you pull on the rod and open the bypass hole and then slide it back after you shut the side door. My stove burns great and requires very little attention once it's burning up to temperature.

Regarding your question on the side wall temperature of 125F, I wouldn't be concerned since that is a pretty low temperature for any damage. Interiors of cars get well above that 125F on a sunny day sitting out in a parking lot and the worst damage they seem to get is cracking on the dash after several years or more. My stove is located about the same distance from the side wall as your is. As for the placement of the thermometer, the manufacturer specifies placing it in the location I mentioned above, on the right hand top panel over the cat location (at least on my stove with a cat). I've burned my stove with readings above 600F in that location with no problems. Good luck with your stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.