Loading Tetris

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently loading my insert EW with mixed hardwood. For example let's say an even mix of maple and black locust. I'm trying to maximize burn time and have tried a number of arrangements (locust front, back, top, bottom, even mix).

I know its splitting hairs, but is there 'technically' a best configuration?

naw, it's just to have an excuse to tell your wife when she complains your spending more time with stove then her>>

Reactions: weatherguy
I don't have an insert but if I want max burn time in my EW loading stove I put a couple pieces of oak at the rear of the stove then a mix of wood for the rest. If you rake your coals forward before loading it should burn mostly front to back and having a couple pieces of your best wood at the back should extend your burn. Works for me anyway.

try harder wood in front softer in back more air in front might be a slower burn?

I'm trying to maximize burn time

Then load with the densest fuel you have. Plain and simple - the more pounds the more available fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.