Loading unit problem mis-diagonosed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmudd

Jun 7, 2012
Central MO
I posted a reply about a problem with my recently installed loading unit in a previous "dump zone design "thread. I thought the thermostatic valve stuck, causing no circulation thru return protection line or supply and return and resulting in an overheat condition. AS USUAL, I should have looked before I typed. Dissassembled the valve last night. No way a stuck valve would have caused lack of circulation. The unit is very well constructed (no sheet metal). Threre is brass ball on a temp sensitive spring. It allows flow either one way or another or both, so no way it could prevent any circulation. The only thing I think it could have been is an air lock at pump or some small piece of stuff in pump rotor. If there was a stuck themostat on this unit, it would allow only return protection circulation, or supply and return circulation. After looking at it, I'm more comfortable with the safety of this thing. This is a very nice piece of equipment, easy to service and well constructed. It's expensive, but is all brass, includes 3 unions, 3 shutoff valves, pump and thermostative valve.

Hey mmudd,

Is yours the LK 810 ? Does yours have the molded insulation and temp gauges as well?This is what I have and I agree, it seems really well made. Hope to see it in action soon!

I just wish they were available with the 3 speed Alpha like they offer in Europe.

Noah

Mine is an LK810, but it doesn't have shut off valves. So thinking mmudd has something different? Mine works perfect - although it's only been in operation a couple of months. I use it with the pump set on low speed - very capable of moving the heat to storage.

termovar_nocover.png
Mine has the isolation ball valves like in this image. But the body is brass not cast Iron.

Noah

M unit is also the LK810. The valve handles are the small little two sided nubs on the unions justoutside of guages you turn with a small wrench . Mine is brass also. Apparently, they used to be cast iron. I had a fire last night and no problems. I must say, assuming no more air locks, that the additon of this and some other plumbing changes has made operating the boiler a no-brainer. Don't have to touch any valves, just light a fire.

Man, those are some stealthy valves. I spent quite a bit of time handling mine just looking it over, and during the install - I never noticed valves in those bodies or that those nubs were to turn one. I almost want to un-install mine now just to see for myself. Almost but not quite...

EDIT: Or maybe I did notice then forgot about them - the mind is the first thing to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.