Locally found Grandpa saves the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windage

Feb 2, 2014
Ky
I have been fighting a cold, enclosed porch at the rear of the house and a stubborn Ashley ARH 24 in the front of the house. More on the Ashley (grrrr) later. The Grandpa 2 door that I bought brand new and used 5 seasons got away from me in several divorces (not all mine either)..bought from Johnson Hardware in Vanceburg, KY seems like $1,000 in 1979/80...big money back then.

Anyway, been fighting the "glass-door air wash" draft on this Ashley and very dissatisfied with it, ready to break out the plasma cutter and modify a few things...I burn a mix of dry and whatever, right up to green and the "turbulent" airflow is not getting it.
The Fisher, on the other hand was legendary in my mind and I often wished I had my old stove back...then "PRESTO", this fall, I am visiting a friend's cabin nearby and stumble upon this Grandpa in great condition for $450, screen and all. Got the flue installed, built a quickie hearth from block dry laid and cement board, with a metal shield on wall with stand-offs and I am warm this winter !
This Grandpa is 32 1/4 across the top, built by Hesston Corp. Ser # FS61 1356, angle iron corners, long taper legs, no feet, "captive" door hinge mounting, C channel door seal PICT0127.JPG PICT0128.JPG . This stove came from the Columbus OH area. This stove is very much like my original, except mine had the ball feet.

Any specifics you guys can share would be great.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Congrats and welcome to Hearth. Get a baffle in it ! You will like it even more.

I was "baffled" about that topic until I read the baffle thread....baffles for this stove and another will be born together in the coming weeks...

BTW, I will dub these 32 inch Grandpas "Maxi" unless you have another name for them..they work really well for me as the extra width allows me to stack greener wood at the sides to dry, awaiting their turn in the fire, glowing in the middle. Not as good a solution as well cured wood, but a matter of using what you can get at the time. I have already gone through my 10 pickup loads of dry wood and green is still available at $40 a pickup load delivered.

I do hope that you have a fairly rigorous inspection plan in place. It appears that you are familiar with the pros and cons of dry vs. green and I am also hopeful that you are aware of the dangers that come along with that.
Inspect often and clean as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.