Location of thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those magnetic thermometers. It says on packaging to put it eye level on the pipe vent. Then there are other members on this site that say to put it on the actual box. Well, in my case, my box has a step up(two flat planes) Lopi Endeavor. One plane is definitely hotter than the other. Which one do I put it on?

It's all relative, but I would try on the upper level, about 6" from the flue.

I had one on my pipe and on the step itself. The one from the step is currently sitting on my charcoal grill/smoker. As long as you have an idea of what the stove is doing you should be fine. The thermometer gives you an idea of what your stove is doing.

Matt

What should I be shooting for? what temp at what location? On box and on pipe?

What are you trying to measure? If you want to know temps to avoid creosote, then measure the flue temp if you can, as it will change temps more indicative of the flue gas temp. If you are more worried about overfiring the stove, or knowing when it is up to temp, then mount on the stove.

Location depends on the stove. Pipe location, mount IAW manufactureers instructions. I'd get a probe for the pipe, as it won't demagnetise in an overtemp and fall on the floor (of course all of us with magnet mounts on flue pipe have the safety wire screwed to the pipe, right? ;) )

I would always place the thermometer on the hottest part of the stove body unless the stove manual identifies a different specific location. The biggest reason to have a meter is to know when I am overfiring the stove for the sake of stove damage and warranty. The manufacuturer will give you an overfire temp to be respected and you for sure don't want to meawsure for that temp on the bottom of the stove.

If you like meters you can add one to the stove pipe but the importance of that temperature is secondary to the stove itself.

I'm trying to find out the temperature of stove operation as to avoid creosote build up and also I do not want to damage my Lopi.

jj, I was mistaken, the Endeavor has a ventilated top step. I'd try locating it on the lower step directly in front of the flue. See what temps you read there and let us know what you get. I would expect readings of 300-700 degrees. Don't exceed 850 and you should be ok.

Attachments

• lopi_thermo.jpg
    lopi_thermo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 283
I'll run in tonight with some full length splits....i'll get back to you.

thanks

Genuine question here - is it possible to overfire a stove without overheating the flue? Or to state it in reverse, can you overfire a stove without getting overfire indications on a flue pipe probe thermometer? I have always worked on the assumption that proper flue temps (hot enough to avoid creosote, but not to hot) could run all day long without hurting a stove. My Jotul insert doesn't specify any stove temps in the manual, and I assume from the "How hot should I..." questions around here that many other stoves don't come with temp restrictions, other than the glowing parts are too hot caveat (Soapstone stoves excepted of course).

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.