Locust - I love it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
I burn mostly oak, but I have a small supply of black locust that has been c/s/s for 18 months. With heavy winds and cold temps moving in over the next day or two, I decided to burn a bit of it. Man it puts out the heat! With 3 pieces the house of up to 75! Temperature outside was in the 20s and wind chill was in single digits! I wish I had more of this stuff around!

Haven.t you read the post on how hard it is to burn.:) Im burning about 90% B L now I didn't realize I put so much in the shed.

Haven.t you read the post on how hard it is to burn.:) Im burning about 90% B L now I didn't realize I put so much in the shed.

Yes Sir it is just so hard to burn that most folks should just set it out to the curb and I will dispose of it for them. IF I can beat Scotty to the curb. :cool:

locust is a beast of a different color, that's for sure. It's kinda funny how bad it frustrates one person, who then gives it to the next guy, and that guy is AMAZED with it and he can't figure out why in the heck the guy gave it away!

The phrase I like for locust is slow out of the gate at the beginning of the race and the last one to cross the finish line......it just lasts and lasts and lasts. It gasifies differently than other woods, I get mostly blue flames out of the secondaries on the Napoleon 1900, with virtually no orange flames anywhere else. It almost looks like the stove is going to die out, but you go over to it and MAN ITS PUTTING OUT THE HEAT! Stack temps stabilize up around 550-650 and it just cruises along for hours. I love it for overnight burns, after 6 to 8 hours it's still a heaping red pile of coals and the stove is still very hot in the morning.....

I've got truckloads of both black and honey locust in the stacks.....probably around 8-9 cord still out there. Next years and 2014-2015 wood. I've got 3 huge honey locusts to cut down this summer, I'm anxious to get it too!

I burn mostly oak, but I have a small supply of black locust that has been c/s/s for 18 months. With heavy winds and cold temps moving in over the next day or two, I decided to burn a bit of it. Man it puts out the heat! With 3 pieces the house of up to 75! Temperature outside was in the 20s and wind chill was in single digits! I wish I had more of this stuff around!
I love it to death,12 + cords stacked in rounds about 4 css,I plan on adding at least another 6 cord to the arsenal this spring,burns long and hot beautiful blue flames dance off the wood for hours in the BK a full load in bitter temps goes 14 hours easy,and will probably go longer as I'm adding 4 feet to my chimney height next week,for a total of 17 feet,can't wait. Sorry for hyjacking but when you talk locust I can't help myself.

Reactions: ScotO and chvymn99
Then try Honey Locust. Love the smell of a fresh split.

Reactions: ScotO
I think I am burning some now. It smells like soured mash and apples. I use to live take to the wild turkey stillery in Kentucky and this stuffs smells just like it. It stinks!!!

The locust I have was really dry when I split it, it came from a dead standing tree that the wind took down. At my FIL's in Pennsylvania, he burns mostly black locust and cherry. Talk about a contrast in smells! Cherry has the best smell in my opinion when split, while BL has by far the worst.

The locust I have was really dry when I split it, it came from a dead standing tree that the wind took down. At my FIL's in Pennsylvania, he burns mostly black locust and cherry. Talk about a contrast in smells! Cherry has the best smell in my opinion when split, while BL has by far the worst.
Go out and get yourself some willow and burn that once.....you wanna talk about bad smell....

Smells like pizz on a campfire......NASTY STUFF!!

Locust does stink, no doubt. But the very best smelling wood when burning is applewood. It is absolutely amazing, I'd put hickory in second, white oak in third, cherry in fourth....

Locust is sweet served with a cherry! :p

Go out and get yourself some willow and burn that once.....you wanna talk about bad smell....

Smells like pizz on a campfire......NASTY STUFF!!

Locust does stink, no doubt. But the very best smelling wood when burning is applewood. It is absolutely amazing, I'd put hickory in second, white oak in third, cherry in fourth....

Never burned willow, nor pizzed on a campfire, so I'll have to take your word for it Scotty!

You're right about apple though - like the old poem says "Apple wood will scent your room with an incense like perfume."

All this BL talk makes me want to get out scouting and see if I can find one for myself.....there are some on private conservation land that are absolutely massive......every time I fish down there I spend half the time admiring those BTU's!

Status
Not open for further replies.