Log rolled and is touching the glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

griam01

Jan 22, 2016
Upper Panhandle, WV
So one of the logs rolled forward and is laying against the glass burning. The fireplace is at about 1100 degrees. Do I need to slowly open and shove it back in there or leave it alone? Cat is engaged and I know I would need to open the bypass first. Just curious if any damage can be done to the glass if I leave it?

Happened to me last night with an E/W loading. Just leave it.

So one of the logs rolled forward and is laying against the glass burning. The fireplace is at about 1100 degrees. Do I need to slowly open and shove it back in there or leave it alone? Cat is engaged and I know I would need to open the bypass first. Just curious if any damage can be done to the glass if I leave it?
Leave it. It’s fire rated glass.

It should be fine. And really there is nothing you can do about it now anyway

Reactions: NHcpa
Thanks all. I was ready to open and shove my gloved hand in there to push it back some but I am just going to leave it alone.

In the past I've opened the door to move the log and ended up with a crumbling mess of hot coals all over the ashlip and spilling onto the hearth. Now I leave it.

Reactions: NHcpa and griam01
There will be creosote buildup in that area but it will burn off with the next fire

Reactions: griam01
There will be creosote buildup in that area but it will burn off with the next fire

Yes I can see it now. I have it in the corners of my glass too. I was hoping it would burn some of the corners off but alas it is still there.
cb84af26109cf0c84884a886011c2743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While wood against glass bugs me in the moment, it’s best to leave it. To open stove in mid burn with a flaming log ready to fall out is not a good plan.

Nothing to worry about. Watch video below. The only time I worry about glass breakage besides slamming door on a log that doesn’t fit is if a wood saw dust log rolled against the door as they expand as they burn which if wedged between the end of a log and the glass could break it if the force was high enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7883E5A5-C32C-4F94-B5CB-8B3CDC7DCDC4.jpeg

Good example of why not to open door once log is up against glass. It just happened to me and it was bugging me, as it does. Open up door a small log rolls out of stove on hearth extension. No damage to anything but not looking forward to cleaning up this crud stain tomorrow.

It's fine . . . just tends to mess up the air wash system and afterwards you may have a smudge on the "glass." And yeah, like everyone else, when it happens I find it annoying for some reason and always want to reach in and move it off the "glass."