Log splitter is dead - what could be wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Sorry to be such an active poster lately in here with needs, but everyone has been so helpful I cant help but ask another question.

So I have a 3 year old 20 ton Champion log splitter that I bought from tractor supply on sale (black friday). I absolutely loved this thing for 3 years. Ran like a champ busting through rounds, knots etc with the greatest of ease. M
This has always sat under cover next to a shed.
This summer I went to start it, and boy was it hard but after about 50 pulls it finally started. Then white smoke starting coming out of the exhaust. I restarted it again and same thing, then I noticed a good bit of oil (and possibly unspent gas) was on the lawn.
I did some research and find it hard to believe that the gasket is blown.
I usually drain the gas and run it to zero. Im not really sure if I drained it the last time, but I did not see any gas in there when I went to start it this year. I added it full of fresh gas when I went to start it.
Ive tried a few things except pulling the carb and cleaning it. Eg. checked the plug, cleaned it, tried starting without the air filter on, tried some starting fluid, drained the gas and started over, made sure the operating lever wasnt stuck to the on position which might cause a just waking up for the year engine to bog down, new oil, check oil no water/gas in it.

I have very little luck with small engines. Especially when the words Kohler are written on the engine. I have a 1970s briggs and stratton water pump that sits outside in the rain, snow etc - and all it wants to do is run. (I use it to flood a pond that has ice on it for skating surface)

There are only two small engine repair places near me that Ive found. One is very expensive and has bad reviews, the other is a local guy who 'gets to it when he can' 45 mins away...my one neighbor said "he had my weed eater for 2 months, and when you try to call he never answers, and if you take the time to drive out there, he is never there" My other neighbor says "just take it to this guy, he's always there at his shop or returns in a few minutes, most of the time he just fixes it right there where you pulled in"

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

sounds like the needle valve in the carb was letting fuel go by and filled a little gas in the crankcase. my lawn tractor did that to me and it's running well and using less gas so i didn't touch the carb and install a shut off valve in line with the fuel. shut it off everytime i park it

Reactions: Z33
Dernit. Well, how does one fix that?
I thought I pulled it and ran it enough to expel any demons. Over the course of a couple weeks here and there I tried to start it and keep it running. It will start but will just run real rough blowing out that white smoke and oil/gas.
Ive had engines before that do this, but eventually the cob webs (sometimes literally) are cleared out. Not this engine.

you can always try some seafoam or fuel system cleaner and see if running it a while does it. when you checked the oil did it seem thin watered down or did it spill out when the plug was pulled?

if the oil didn't look right change it then run it a while up at high working rpm with the cleaner in the gas

if the oil didn't look right change it then run it a while up at high working rpm with the cleaner in the gas
Tomorrow, crossing fingers because daughter has a headache and sniffles - I HOPE to get up there and spend some time on this guy. Like an idiot I wheeled it beside my shed which is below a rock pile (gray water system) and on a slope. This thing is a giant pita to wheel anywhere. I should have left it near the wood pile covered. I was planning to knock down the old shed, and build one about 3x the size this summer so that I could store this, my snow thrower, my dual sport, my tractor INSIDE. Im also having issues with my tractor stalling after running for a min or two. New carb, new fuel filter, new plugs, wires, magnetos, traced all sorts of electrical stuff. Ran better with each item I would swap out to the point that it finally started running reliably then it started having all the issues again. And yes you guessed it, another Kohler engine. It's a garden tractor that I bought fairly cheap, and it came with a plow. Ran good for a single year, that's it.
I HATE small engines.

Starting to sound like a valve problem- Kohlers are noted for that depending model. The only other thing I can think of is the governor mice and wasp nests do a number on that system. I am sure you checked your air filtersystem - dang mice get in there and chew everything -generally plugging up the line to carb.

Starting to sound like a valve problem- Kohlers are noted for that depending model. The only other thing I can think of is the governor mice and wasp nests do a number on that system. I am sure you checked your air filtersystem - dang mice get in there and chew everything -generally plugging up the line to carb.
I hate to give up on the tractor, it's a bargain (if running) and is powerful. Great transmission. It's a craftsman but Husqvarna made it. I think I've tried everything but the more complicated things like valve timing etc. That I would need to leave to a pro, unfortunately that really doesnt exist within probably 2 hours of me. Everyone else would likely be a fixer upper place. I doubt they go that in depth into a motor.

Bad news. I was sure I checked and replaced the oil on this but I may be confusing myself with tractor troubleshooting.
I tilted the splitter over after pulling the rear oil plug. Everything spilled out like water. Smells like gas with a slight hint of oil in it. The way it ran and smelled I do not believe it was only gas and oil it had to be water as well.
I don't understand how this could have occurred. It is covered when not in use and I've never had issues before. There is no way for water to get into the engine. Or maybe it was all gas and oil but it was a ton of fluid coming out running very much like water yet not a.super strong gas smell. Obvious though.

I have a wood splitter with a Kohler k181 engine, that one is the worst out of my small array of crap for crud building up in the carb bowl, and I use non ethanol high test, I don't tarp that one anymore. I also talk nice to it!

I called mine various names, of which I cannot repeat here. I also may have kicked it. I hate Kohler. I remember buying a Husqvarna garden tractor a few years ago, different one than I'm having issues with. Supposed to come with a Kawasaki engine. Arrives with a Kohler. I send it away. Dealer says I'll knock 300 off. No. Ok 500. No. Ok I'll give it to you at cost. No. No. No. And. No. I'd rather have a china made Briggs and a mild case of herpes than a Kohler engine. Then I did a dumb thing and gave Kohler another shot with this splitter. Dumb.
How i stored it yes not the best but Kohler is like the ny jets. Stupid.

Edit: typed this out this morning, forgot to hit the "post" button! ;lol
I agree, likely gas in the oil from a leaky float valve... probably needs a carb cleaning...might be able to just pop the bowl off and do it, or might need to remove whole carb.
Small engines should always have the gas shut off when sitting, if they have a valve...and I often add one if they don't.

Edit: typed this out this morning, forgot to hit the "post" button! ;lol
I agree, likely gas in the oil from a leaky float valve... probably needs a carb cleaning...might be able to just pop the bowl off and do it, or might need to remove whole carb.
Small engines should always have the gas shut off when sitting, if they have a valve...and I often add one if they don't.
Valve was off however!.... My wife reminded me that I lent the splitter to my neighbor the last time it was used. So. My fault for not checking this and maybe I left the line open. We shall see tomorrow. I need to drive 30 mins to get oil and carb cleaner. While I'm there I'll probably pickup a plug if I can find it, and some stable fuel from tractor supply. Then maybe some taco bell. Don't tell the wife.

Reactions: RAD418
For the longest time...

I was of the camp that taco smell was a cheap place to eat long ago. Now a simple taco is 1.59. Huh. Now where I'm at taco bell looks and tastes like the ads. Kids with tshirts tucked in serving you, dont look like ex cons. Two tacos and you are good to go.
I liked the beef chalupa and a plain beef burrito with a hard taco, side of rice , fire sauce and a small cola. Oh buddy.

^ This. In fact, make it your habit to shut off your log splitter at the end of the day by shutting this valve, and letting it run itself dry. I do this with any tool that has some chance of sitting weeks between uses, namely my log splitter and walk-behind snow blower.

If you work on old cars or engines, and ever wondered why the only ever used up-draft carburetors, well... now you know. Leaky float valves can do a lot of damage to an engine.

Reactions: Bocephous
She's alive!
Carb removed and bowl full of brown gunk. The interior jets removed and soaked. Or whatever they call those things that sit in the tube that holds the float near it. Spray all the other holes and throttle body. Empty the gas , ran some fresh oil in and move it around then drained everything. Added a quart of 94 zero ethanol, plus 2 ounces of seafoam. On pull number 12 it finally started rough. Flipped the choke over and it took off. White smoke billowed out for about three minutes in a giant cloud that filled my entire property for a bit. Then it ran mean as I cut a few rounds but I couldn't do much more as it was time for dinner then it got dark.

With these line valves, is there a risk of the carburetor gaskets drying out and failing if you run the carb out of gas? There’s also a risk of the bowl full of gas turning to goo. I have some engines with no shut off valve.

With these line valves, is there a risk of the carburetor gaskets drying out and failing if you run the carb out of gas? There’s also a risk of the bowl full of gas turning to goo. I have some engines with no shut off valve.
That's why you run it out...and then drain the bowl of its last drops if at all possible. Like I mentioned before, I'll add a valve if I have to, and on engines where that's not practical/possible (like a chainsaw) its still pretty easy to dump the tank out and then run it "dry"...which would preferably be done with a little e-free gas in the tank prior...it won't leave that "goo" you mention.
As far as gaskets drying out...that's not really so much a thing with modern (non cork) gaskets...if anything, sitting with ethanol fuel in the carb is worse...that stuff is the devil.

Ditto. Chainsaws have fuel dumped back into fuel can, then run dry, at end of season. All other engines just shut off fuel valve and run dry. The only bowl I bother to drain is the portable genny, as that one can sit a long time between uses, and is also more critical when I need it. Thankfully, Honda put a cast bowl with a drain screw on that one, no need to loosen center mounting screw to drain.

Reactions: begreen
Thanks folks. I do dump the saw gas and run it dry and hoped that was better than letting the old gas sit in it.

All of my champion generators have shut offs and a fuel drain screw for the bowl.

Last, every drop of fuel gets sta-bil treatment.

I think I’ll look into a shut off for the mower. To be used for the winter slumber.

All of my champion generators have shut offs and a fuel drain screw for the bowl.
Not sure which model you have, but I have a little Champion 2200 watt inverter genny and it has the fuel shutoff and kill switch integrated into the same knob, which I didn't like at first, but I figured out that I can turn the knob far enough to shut the fuel off without engaging the kill switch, so it will run until the carb is dry...well, not dry...for that you really need to pop the side panel off and open the carb drain screw before storage...which I'll do unless I know that I will be using it again soon (but that is dangerous too...best laid plans n all)