Log Splitter Leaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejbailey

Feb 19, 2022
Monroe, CT
I’ve been splitting a couple hours a day for the last two days, and I noticed oil coming out from right above the wedge when it fully returns up or makes contact with the log. I shut it down for a few hours and then restarted it and it came back after about 30 minutes of splitting. Is this normal and I never noticed or the start of something bad?

We need pictures. Leaks are not supposed to happen.

Its not normal, but the reason it's occurring after a bit of use is because the hydro fluid is warmed up and becomes "thinner" so to speak and its getting past the seal.

Its not normal, but the reason it's occurring after a bit of use is because the hydro fluid is warmed up and becomes "thinner" so to speak and its getting past the seal.
That’s what I thought. I’m assuming it might need a new seal. Now I’m wondering how long they last.

That’s what I thought. I’m assuming it might need a new seal. Now I’m wondering how long they last.
Seals don't last forever. A dirty or damaged rod will also damage the seal.

I'm OCD about that kind of stuff, but I'd probably rock on with it for the season and just keep an eye on the tank level. Fix it in the off season. Unless it's a hose leaking under high pressure.

Pretty simple fix if you can get the seals
I have done a bunch on my Cat equipment

Hopefully you can find a kind soul that has done this on youtube. You can try searching for the make/model of your splitter but also potentially just the piston itself if there are markings on there.

Get a hold of a hydroilc shop or two for parts.