Log splitter recommendation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I posted this in the 'log splitter shortage' thread, and I have some pictures there as well. This is my recommendation:

I have the northstar 30 ton splitter. I love it, you wouldn't believe the stuff I've split with it, I'll try to post some pictures.
It's absolutely worth the extra couple 100$ to upgrade to this compared to a big box store splitter. It has a Honda engine compared to a homeowner grade engine, it has an outrigger leg so it doesn't tip when you put a big log on it. The log stripper works fantastic.
Most of all, it idles down when the wedge is retracted. So when you're getting your next log, it's not just sitting there screaming wide open, putting wear and tear on the engine and pump, putting heat in the oil and burning gas.
I've never had a log I couldn't split.
All that being said, I'm extremely happy with it and would buy another one in a heartbeat