Log splitter wheel hub conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cwitham

Oct 29, 2012
Central Indiana
I have a splitter with a “fixed hub” what I want is more of a 5 lug trailer wheel and tire rather than the tiny spindle wheels. Anyone done this? Instructions anywhere?

Pictures?

You need one of these. Cut the old spindle off and weld one of these on, really not that difficult. Just make sure you drain the hydraulic tank completely first as the tank is what is being welded on.

1666058086218.png

Reactions: duramaxman05
Personally, I would not trust that tank to hold up to road speeds with welded on spindles. Those tanks have been known for spit welds If treated rough (like our roads will be on it.) Yard use is a different story.
For road speed I would consider a solid axle.

Sometimes the one piece hub/wheel have the same bearings as the hubs with bolts.
The lightest duty ones have the same inside and outside bearings.

I looked at your pics in the linked thread. If you want to tow that splitter behind a truck I would buy an axle and mount underneath. I wouldn't fool welding stubs to the tank. You might be able to use stubs if you weld them in a piece of square or round tube to make an axle. I wouldn't tow what you have off of my property.

If the intent is to make it road towable, I wouldn't recommend it. If the intent is to raise the splitter to a higher level then there should be much issue. I'm betting if you measure the axle spindle diameter you can source a hub the will fit without have to weld new spindles on. On the link to the wood splitter you inquired as to the make. I have the same on with a slightly different tank design. It's a Brave brand.