Log splitter help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cwitham

Oct 29, 2012
Central Indiana
I have a couple questions about my log splitter.
1. Does anyone have a suggestion on when to replace the hydraulic lines? The outsides of mine are cracked but none of them leak.

2. Can I replace the controls and the pump and get it to cycle faster?

3. Can someone identify the Model? Pics to be posted in a few. I need to go get some good ones with the "tag" in them. There seems to be no actual identifiers on it. So I'm hoping someone knows what it is. I "know" it was at the least built by MTD. I haven't found any model or serial number on it anywhere.

F6B3F37E-2316-435D-B7FB-1127183B73A7.jpeg 71B6F106-0156-49B8-8B4E-AA2050016136.jpeg F2215AEE-DDB3-4AE3-99E5-7CCF005E4A90.jpeg C1AA56AE-E9DC-460D-8832-25BEF0FBC9C6.jpeg 562B2B13-4B13-4072-830D-7A524CB8513E.jpeg 5B6A4904-575D-4AE6-A8E8-487B0B80D9A5.jpeg

Last edited:
I would look to buy the splitter you want and sell that one.
Yours is a fairly basic small splitter.
You could add a bigger pump to get more speed,but you are limited then to the size of the engine you have.You can replace the lines anytime,i usually don't fix it till it's broke.

Reactions: johneh and Mt Bob
I would look to buy the splitter you want and sell that one.
Yours is a fairly basic small splitter.
You could add a bigger pump to get more speed,but you are limited then to the size of the engine you have.You can replace the lines anytime,i usually don't fix it till it's broke.
Thanks. This one is staying for 4.5 years. It will be sold when I retire and move south.

Give the engine a tuneup and make sure it's running at the specified RPM when the "throttle" (really governor) control lever is fully open.

The outer rubber layer on hydraulic hoses is there to protect the inner layers from the elements. It's not critical to the integrity of the hose. OTOH, eventually one will fail. It's hard to tell from looking when that might happen. A failed hose can shoot out fluid at very high pressure, high enough to inject fluid under the skin. A failed hose is one thing when it's on a tractor loader well away from the operator but something else when you're standing right next to it. Knowing that if it was me I'd run them for a while but eventually replace them.

I have a couple questions about my log splitter.
1. Does anyone have a suggestion on when to replace the hydraulic lines? The outsides of mine are cracked but none of them leak.

2. Can I replace the controls and the pump and get it to cycle faster?

3. Can someone identify the Model? Pics to be posted in a few. I need to go get some good ones with the "tag" in them. There seems to be no actual identifiers on it. So I'm hoping someone knows what it is. I "know" it was at the least built by MTD. I haven't found any model or serial number on it anywhere.

View attachment 285244 View attachment 285245 View attachment 285246 View attachment 285247 View attachment 285248 View attachment 285249
If you have serial numbers you can go to the MTD site and sign in then enter your serial numbers so you can get your model number.

I bought a used one years back because the 24 ton we have is pretty heavy, we had a new engine/motor put on it last year, a Honda GX 160.

I cut a whole bunch of beech in the last two years and the 20 MTD with the new motor splits everything.

104_1113.JPG 104_1710.JPG

If you have serial numbers you can go to the MTD site and sign in then enter your serial numbers so you can get your model number.

I bought a used one years back because the 24 ton we have is pretty heavy, we had a new engine/motor put on it last year, a Honda GX 160.

I cut a whole bunch of beech in the last two years and the 20 MTD with the new motor splits everything.

View attachment 285259 View attachment 285260
If there is a serial number I have no idea where it is

Reactions: thewoodlands
If there is a serial number I have no idea where it is
The engine has one and my splitters serial number was on the back of the hydraulic oil tank, the side you "wood" be looking at if you were splitting vertical.

The engine has one and my splitters serial number was on the back of the hydraulic oil tank, the side you "wood" be looking at if you were splitting vertical.
The stock engine was replaced prior to me getting it. I thought I had seen a plate on the tank but didn't see it today. I'll look again.

The stock engine was replaced prior to me getting it. I thought I had seen a plate on the tank but didn't see it today. I'll look again.
I posted a link above to MTD, if you can't find your serial number, maybe through pictures and contacting MTD, they can help.

In response to the specific questions:
1. I don;t get too worked up about the outer casing of the hose having cracks. But it sure doesn’t hurt to have an abundance of respect for the condition of the hoses. Replace as you see fit.

2. Components and speed are “matched”. Meaning the general rule of thumb is 2:1. 16 gpm pump requires an 8 hp gas engine. An 11 gpm pump requires 5.5 hp, etc. You can oversize the hp with no problems, but you cannot undersize the HP without giving up some performance (in the way of full system pressure). Size the pump to the engine and you won’t go wrong. Want a bigger pump - get a bigger engine. As long as you don’t go crazy, the controls will be adequate.

3. I have no idea of the model of you splitter but I wouldn’t get too hung up on that. As said above, these are pretty basic hydraulic systems and as long as you follow the few basic guide lines, it should work well.

Just one dudes opinion...

Just replaced the hoses on my 30 year old 20T Northern Tool splitter, took the old reallllyyyy cracked ones off and headed over to the local hose assembly shop. He looked at them and said "Well, these don't owe you anything", so I told him I have been intending to replace them for 5 years or so, so he was correct. $120 later I walked out with new hoses, 10 minute install and now I'm good for the next 30 years. I know there are cheaper hose assemblers (I've heard NAPA does it etc) but if it only costs me $4/year I'm fine with that. My BIL has mentioned to me several times after he borrowed it that he was a little concerned about getting a limb in the 3000 PSI stream from a busted hose, so I finally broke down.

The hoses on a splitter really don't pose much of a risk.
They may hold 3000PSI but that pressure isn't what would hit you if the hose let go.
Once the hose lets go the pressure drops as there is nothing to contain the fluid to keep the pressure.
Kinda like a bullet that gets fired out of a barrel,deadly
bullet goes off in a fire,not so much because there is nothing to contain the pressure.
It will make a mess of you and your clothes.

Reactions: StudlyHogly