Log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradleyS

Nov 10, 2013
Long Island, NY
Looking into buying a log splitter (gas)

I have been reading info from websites and dealers/MFGs.

I will be probably splitting less than 10 cords a year. I have been guilty of over buying in the past.

So far online the Iron & Oak and Oregon lines look good.

Any info on what to look for and/or recommendations

I've heard I & O is pretty reliable.....I think it's what all the rental companies around here use, and they take a beating

If money wasn't a big obstacle I would get a Super Split. This is one of those weighted flywheel type of log splitters. They will split about twice as much wood as a typical log splitter (in the same amount of time). And they are in your general area too - Bridgewater, MA. I have a small horizontal type but I wish.......
http://www.supersplit.com/

Iron and Oak has a long history of being quality machines (pro grade), but be aware that they have been recently sold.

Iron and Oak has a long history of being quality machines (pro grade), but be aware that they have been recently sold.

Thanks for your reply. I like the design of the horizontal Iron& Oak models.

I checked out that spit-fire website and there design differences.

I have a question on all the I-beam splitter designs using some form of mechanical clamp that slides along the side of the I-beam.

Does this wear over time and tend to sharpen the edge of the I-beam like they claim on the spit-fire website? Also can this be greased to prevent?

I just bought and Iron and Oak 20 ton vertical / horizontal.. powered by a Honda motor. I have to pick it up tomorrow. I've used this model before and absolutely loved it, you get all the benefits of horizontal splitting and if the log is to heavy stand her up to vertical..the cycle time is about 8 seconds, which is quick enough for me since I very rarely have and helping hand, the Honda motor just sips gas, plus it is very reliable. I'll post pics after getting tomorrow.

Does this wear over time and tend to sharpen the edge of the I-beam like they claim on the spit-fire website? Also can this be greased to prevent?

This has never been an issue that I have heard of. I have heard the question, but never anybody confirming it has happened. After being on this site for years as well as other places if it was an issue, it would have been brought up by now.

There is a lube - don't lube debate also, but unless you use a dry lube I wouldn't worry about it. I use nothing and have split many cords on my home built and it shows no issues.

I just bought and Iron and Oak 20 ton vertical / horizontal..
Keep an eye on the control valve for early leaks. That was the latest issue I have heard. It really isn't an I&O issue but more a supplier issue for the valve. It seems as though a batch of the valves had problems (it was happening on other makes as well). They may have worked out the problem by now.

I have been reading info from websites and dealers/MFGs.

I will be probably splitting less than 10 cords a year. I have been guilty of over buying in the past.

Any info on what to look for and/or recommendations

There are several splitters that could fit your bill. Perhaps the lowest cost would be the Huskee line and there are many here that have them. Before the Huskee, we bought an MTD, 20 ton, with a Briggs & Stratton 5 hp engine. Have split somewhere around 300 cord of wood with it and have been very happy. Total repair cost to date is $0.00. The engine is perhaps on its last leg but it has served us well so far. It now uses some oil but still runs and splits all we need split. If I remember correctly we paid somewhere around $800 for it back in the 80's.

Just like all other splitter ads, they sure do a great job on nice straight grained pieces! I wish the splitter companies would show just how good their product handles big ol' gnarly twisted knotty crotchy chunks!!

They'll handle the twisty stuff just fine! The knife works to slice as opposed to brute force

Before I built my splitter, we used to rent a Splitfire 3255. Its a really good, well made splitter!

Thanks for your reply. I like the design of the horizontal Iron& Oak models.

I checked out that spit-fire website and there design differences.

I have a question on all the I-beam splitter designs using some form of mechanical clamp that slides along the side of the I-beam.

I have never seen this on any I beam types. I have seen burrs turned up from the pusher that can be a bit sharp. Maybe if it had a ton of wear it might get sharp along the edge but I doubt it.

Thanks for the replies. Kennyp, looking forward for your feedback on the I&O 20 ton splitter.

I purchased a gently used "Brave" log splitter recently. It is made by the same company that makes Iron and Oak. This splitter is a 20 ton splitter and I was concerned about whether this Brave could split the big heavy narly hardwoods. I do not have that concern anymore. t really is massively built. The quality is so good with Brave splitters. The welds are superb. The steel is thick. I just love this thing and the kicker is it is near 20 years old. Circa late 90's. Even the briggs motor runs so well. If you can buy a used Brave or if you have the money for a new one then I would highly recommend them.

For only 10 cord a yr, any hydro will do fine for you. I just would not china out, and stay with anything American made. Made in America still means something in splitters.

I have been guilty of over buying in the past.

With machinery, that is a good thing!

Yeah I can't recommend one because I have the same splitter Backwoods Savage has and paid the same thing he did back in 1988. I would recommend it but it ain't been sold for a while now.

But all things considered they are an engine, a pump and a ram. Not a space shuttle.

heard about the valve issues, also heard they changed there valve out with a new type of body, it was explained to me that the new valve is smaller, cheaper, and more reliable than there older type, this change occurred when the new company took over, I will keep everyone posted.

I have the huskee 22 ton and had no complaints. Only thing with mine is make sure to operate it on a flat surface or else it may leak hydraulic fluid out of the relief port.

Yeah I can't recommend one because I have the same splitter Backwoods Savage has and paid the same thing he did back in 1988. I would recommend it but it ain't been sold for a while now.

But all things considered they are an engine, a pump and a ram. Not a space shuttle.

I agree. I want the best components available, but also affordable. I guess always looking for best bang for my buck.

I saw some 2 way splitters anyone have experience with these? Splitters that function in both directions.

I agree. I want the best components available, but also affordable. I guess always looking for best bang for my buck.

I saw some 2 way splitters anyone have experience with these? Splitters that function in both directions.

You mean like the Splitfire I posted about earlier;)

Its a VERY good machine. Made in Canada. Top (commercial) grade components, honda engines. They are the standard rental splitter here so that should tell you something. They are not cheap however, due to the components and build quality involved.

They are fast! Ive never rented one of the newer models that have the 4 way wedge. I can only imagine they are that much faster again. Id say that at the end of the day, it would be almost as fast as those flywheel splitters, and a TON safer.

Last edited:
I built a 20 ton gas log splitter about 5 years ago and it works great. BUT if I had to do over I would have made it electric over hydraulic with a closed center hyd system so the motor doesn't run unless the ram is moving. I don't know if they make large frame electric splitters but I would not count one out. I usually split alone about 100 ft from my barn and after a long day of splitting my ears are ringing from the noise and my head is pounding from the fumes lingering around. Just seems to take a lot of enjoyment out of the deal. I cant listen to my kids play or take a quick break with out shutting down/restarting the splitter. I have started splitting what can by hand and throwing the stubborn stuff aside to split with the gas splitter. Anyone else relate to this or am I just being a sissy??? :)

If money wasn't a big obstacle I would get a Super Split. This is one of those weighted flywheel type of log splitters. They will split about twice as much wood as a typical log splitter (in the same amount of time). And they are in your general area too - Bridgewater, MA. I have a small horizontal type but I wish.......
http://www.supersplit.com/

I would worry about the durability of these because of engaging that rack and pinion......it has got to be hard on those spur gear teeth.

My friends grandpa has a 22 ton husky, and I was thinking of getting something bigger. Spent a day helping him cut and split. He intentionally aimed at every crotch, knot, and twisted spot on that tree. It split everything.

I have read that the more recent husky log splitters don't have as good of an engine as the older ones.......

The point of my post as a non-hydro user is this.....that day taught me that you don't need to spend the big bucks on a 37 ton splitter.

With that, I would go by user reviews (lots of folks make a 20 - 25 ton splitter, but not all of them will split 5+ cords for 10 years).

I don't know if they make large frame electric splitters but I would not count one out.

The only one I know of is ramsplitter, and I don't know that you would consider this "large frame"

20 ton
http://ramsplitter.com/horizontal-vertical-20-ton.html

Status
Not open for further replies.