Log tongs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SISU - those are awesome and I can appreciate the work that goes into a project like that at the forge. If I had your skill I would burn mine(and it would not produce many BTU's)

I have saved you photo of the tongs for when I get motivated to try making my own. Are those hot riveted or bolted together?

Sisu, please keep us posted on the cabin project. I've considered doing the same thing.
It is coming along slowly, but surely. I am only a weekend warrior; and get one day out of the weekend to work on it, if I am lucky. On a roll, I can fit two logs in a day. It is funny that the hexagon shape adds two more logs to each layer, which equals more time. But it will be worth it in the end!

I am constructing it first at my folk's place, since they have acreage closer to my house. Once the general construction is finished, I will dismantle it and transport it in pieces to the family cottage. There it will have its final resting spot as an outbuilding. The original cottage is now getting small, as the families have grown.

As more develops I will post the progression.

SISU - those are awesome and I can appreciate the work that goes into a project like that at the forge. If I had your skill I would burn mine(and it would not produce many BTU's)

I have saved you photo of the tongs for when I get motivated to try making my own. Are those hot riveted or bolted together?

Thanks Bob! I did it on a coal forge I made. Take the time and make a set. You will be surprised that it isn't too difficult. It is hot riveted together, which is something I need more practice to do.

Since I was in the woods this past weekend, and had the camera with me, decided to take a few quick pics showing the tongs in action FWIW. These are just the 8" ones but these logs here are larger, I think maybe ~12". If they are out of round or something like that the tongs can still grabe the skinnier part. Also since I cut these to ~39" they are actually about all the more weight I can carry per arm anyhow. But for shorter pieces I wish I had the 12's.

IMG_0709-1.jpg

IMG_0710-1.jpg

My father worked for the Railroad for over 40 years and we use to build lots of retaining wall using railroad ties. We used a set of tie tongs to lift and move the ties. I now own them and used them to move logs. It takes two people to use them, but they work well to lift logs onto the splitter.
antique-2-man-railroad-rr-cross-tie-tongs-tools-uprr-nr_200585487662.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.