Logging in the Northeast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I found this old time video on YouTube. Its about 1/2 hour but interesting if you have the time.

That was cool. Safety? They ain't worried about safety! Running around on logs floating on ice cold water and tying dynamite to sticks, they ain't scared.

Just watched a video my buddy took out logging the other day. One of the trucks with a full load rolled onto it's side. Two skidders and their winches up righted it and they drove it out of there! Said it was leaking every fluid known to man but it drove away.

I think most of the footage was taken along the Androscoggin. Brown company had a company photographer and kept a lot of photo and some film archives, Sadly much of the collection got spread around or thrown away by subsequent owners of the facility

Some of photos are located at this link

http://beyondbrownpaper.plymouth.edu/

Finally had to pull over on the bike one day and see why all those little islands were in the middle of that river as it comes into Berlin.

Read on a sign at the park area that they essentially served as a divider to separate the logs into two different groups as they came down the river.

Amazing the way they used to do it. I go by the Pemi here or look at it in Lincoln and can't imagine they used to fill it with logs like that. Then again, they filled the rivers with chemicals too, I guess they're really clean now compared to what they were 30 years ago with all the mills.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Very cool, thanks for posting that.

I've logged (no pun intended) about 10,000 miles on my sleds riding in the NW mountains of Maine and have visited, eaten at, or stayed in some of these old logging camps. Truely amazing to see how it used to be done.

Health & Safety nightmare by today's standards:eek:
The family that my husband worked for as a kid had a gas station that had old family photos of their original logging business with horses. Neat to see. Some huge trees came out of this area at one time. One of the older farms here still logged with their horses up until about 25 years ago... He was the last one that I know of.

One of the old boats that they used at the Fort Frances mill has been saved and used as a museum. http://fortfrancesontariocanada.blogspot.ca/2012/07/hallett.html

You can still see remnants of the old boom logs as yard décor at a couple of local houses and a local restaurant.

Always amazed at the amount of timber that was moved by men and horses and the power of water!

Status
Not open for further replies.