Logical Wood Stove Chimney Pipe Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GetUp

Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2007
NJ
I found this page: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove
in the forum library...

If you look at the picture with the three possible (most common) chimney pipe setups... Would I be correct that #3 is going to perform better than #2 because #2 has the extra bend. I read that the fewer bends, the more efficient of a chimney, yet I also read that "Ts" (to through-the-wall applications) don't count in this calculation... so which *is* better?

In other words, I'm trying to determine if I should have the chimney exit from the rear of the stove or out the top. I'm not sure what is better... and I have more searching to do around here, but I thought I'd ask...

Thanks,
Pete

See, here's the thing about my already complicated install... I have this wacky setup that is going to require a huge chimeny to clear the roof.

(See image here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php?ACT=24&fid=2&aid=8414_ZrAk56yFQlUygrMeAEHw&board_id=1

)

And to make matters worse, the house is only 4' (yes four feet) away from the neighbor's house!) The area where the chimney would go it in the side alley (that is entirely my property without any type of easement or egress or anything. It is mine.) -- the thing is, that doesn't mean that people may or may not walk by it. With that being said, that is why I am wondering how smart it is to have the wall support at people-level... which I would be if I came right out the back of the stove. Make sense? I know this is complicated, but I also know that that the folks here have seen it all... and I'm trying NOT to talk myself of out it. I also would rather do it myself since I have built the entire house! Side set-back laws allow for the chimney to enter the side-setback, so that isn't an issue...

I just don't want some bone-head to walk into the thing... Boxing it in isn't really something I'm too keen on either...

Thought I'd post here...

Thanks again...

I would also be concerned given the narrow 4 foot alley space that someone will burn themselves. How about a top exit stove with a straight vertical run up through the ceiling. This would give you the best draft and safest install for your alley space. The chimney would exit your ceiling and pass through the flat roof/deck. Then run it up tight against the gable end of the taller part of your house and box it in. You will need to have the top of the chimney finishing the proper height above your pitched roof or you will always have inconsistent or inadequate draft.

The main difference is that an interior stack is going to perform a lot better than an exterior one, even if there is an elbow in the interior setup. Flue gases are cooled down much more rapidly in exterior flues.

RonB said:
I would also be concerned given the narrow 4 foot alley space that someone will burn themselves. How about a top exit stove with a straight vertical run up through the ceiling. This would give you the best draft and safest install for your alley space. The chimney would exit your ceiling and pass through the flat roof/deck. Then run it up tight against the gable end of the taller part of your house and box it in. You will need to have the top of the chimney finishing the proper height above your pitched roof or you will always have inconsistent or inadequate draft.

Ron,

That isn't an option unfortunately. And the gable roof would provide zero support since it is on the far side of the gable. (Not the middle where it is tall) -- Add to that the fact that the gable end is covered in glass and sliding doors (that flat roof is a fiberglass deck)... Any ideas? Thanks! :)

BeGreen said:
The main difference is that an interior stack is going to perform a lot better than an exterior one, even if there is an elbow in the interior setup. Flue gases are cooled down much more rapidly in exterior flues.

BeGreen, Thanks for the reply -- so given the information in this thread, and my other thread... and the photo... what the heck would you recommend? I know there is a lot of information to read, but I would like to do this the best way given the conditions of the application.

Thanks! Pete

Even if you install the chimney as you first outlined the pitched roof will give you issues with your draft. As I understand the rule for chimneys for proper draft and safety you need to have it 3 feet higher than a horizontal plane extending 10 foot from the (pitched) roof. Even though you are not installing thru the pitched roof having the chimney so close to it would still likely require you to meet this rule. That might mean that you would have to extend the chimney 6-12 foot (guessing) above the deck. How do you propose to support it and make it look decent, and not be a hazard to someone on the deck?? You may want to consider moving the location of the stove.

Ron,

Exactly why it is a complex install... Once I take measurements (later today) and snap some pics... we'll all have a better idea (myself included) if this is even possible. I'm certain it can be done with braces, but we don't want it to look like crap either.

Hopefully a combination of the experience of the fine folks here like you and some more information in the form of pics, etc. will lend a hand to seeing if this can be done.

Thanks!
Pete

Pictures should help. What is the decking/roofing material? Running straight up, thru the deck, with the stack properly attached to the house, then boxing in the chase seems like the neatest and nicest looking alternative. But at this point I'm not sure if I can visualize all options. Can you include shots of both sides of the main house interior wall common to the under-the-deck room? Also include a shot from the deck towards the house.

Ok... here are some pictures.

What you're basically looking at is:

Last Pic:

The inside of the room, and the corner where I would like it to go.

Next to last:

Yellow house on left, the chimney pipe would exit in the area between that window and where the soffit ends on the main part of the house.

First in second row:

Same as previous, only from the other direction.

Top three pictures are that same corner from the roof-top deck.

From the roof-top deck. That corner (where the rail ends) is the area above the stove. (the corner you saw inside the room).

That *should* give you what you need to help me brain-storm a solution if there is one.

Things to keep in mind:

Extreme high winds
Extreme salt environment

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0592WS.JPG
    IMG_0592WS.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0593WS.JPG
    IMG_0593WS.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0594WS.JPG
    IMG_0594WS.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0599WS.JPG
    IMG_0599WS.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0600WS.JPG
    IMG_0600WS.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0606WS.JPG
    IMG_0606WS.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 317
No matter how I look at it, all inside the house still looks best. It could travel up in the kneewall space of the second floor. Still would need a brace on the roof side, but that would be the cleanest looking installation and it would perform well.

How would that work? The knee wall is about 3' away from the center point of the chimney pipe? The area where the stove is is under the flat part of the roof that you see -- not the knee wall section of the gable. Or am I missing something?

Just checking in with the resident chimney pipe experts. :D Any good application ideas?

Ugh... ???????????????????????????????/ What did I miss here? I'm certain there is a way to do it. Do you mean you don't know a way? My pictures aren't clear enough? My explanation isn't clear enough? You need more information? Huh?

Let's pretend there isn't any electric in the country where the application is based - since that isn't a logical solution given the nature of this forum.

:confused:

Yes, I'm out of suggestions. Unfortunately there is too little flexibility in the plan and major obstacles like windows, flat roof, etc. in the way of simple, attractive solutions. If it weren't for the small side window alongside of the deck slider door, I would have considered going straight up and boxing in the chase, but the window eliminated that option. Relocating the stove to the main body of the house and perhaps opening up the florida room to the interior still looks like the cleanest install to me, but that doesn't appear to be an option either.

But perhaps someone else has an idea I haven't thought of. If not, there are also gas and pellet stoves to consider.

I appreciate your help and honesty... hopefully somebody here will have some ideas on how to do this.

Gas is not an option as the home already has a gas furnace. The last thing I need is another one of those. And pellet isn't something I would be interested in.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.