Long handled in pipe damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rfd4n

Nov 28, 2023
VA
Anyone know a resource for a long handled 8" in pipe damper with a length of at least 12" from spring at pipe? Current one is so old it has issues at times.
Thanks!
IMG_1118.jpg

What is the issue?

Damper was spinning some on the rod and not holding, but I flipped damper over and am using the other side that holds the curved part of the rod and it seems to be holding better for now. Guess I could put a little stove cement to hold it in place if need be in the future. Other issue is it will be in the open position and at times while putting more wood into the stove and will automatically turn to the closed position straight up and down. Sometimes you hear it move, but of course smoke starts coming out the front door immediately.
Thanks!

For a replacement, the easiest solution may be to buy a regular key damper, remove it from the rod and put it on the old long rod.

It’s possible the old rod is worn too. Maybe flat gasket material could be placed between the disk and the shaft?

Thanks for the advice. The rod is worn also. I'll try the flat gasket material, should the rod start to slip again, and try a slight bend to the shaft also for the tray movements on it's own. You would think someone would still make different sized rods for dampers still, but guess the demand isn't there, plus manufactures seem to have there own type of dampers now.
Thanks again.

I’d put it in a vice and bind the rod up against the damper, maybe get a new spring.

What did this come from? Is the long handle going through a cabinet?

Could it be a rod from a 12” damper that someone put on an 8”?
IMG_0662.jpeg

Could it be a rod from a 12” damper that someone put on an 8”?
I don't think so, the bumps in the rod wouldn't align correctly with the 8" plate.

Parents have an old Schrader wood stove, with 8" pipe coming out the back, that sits on a hearth in front of fireplace. They made a backplate for it that slides over the outgoing pipe, with only a couple inches between the wood stove and the backplate. Damper handle ends up just past the side of the stove. Almost positive damper didn't come with stove. This was done back in the 60's or so.

Hopefully, they have the stove connected to a full stainless liner in the chimney and not just stubbed at the plate.

Check this out for a long arm

The way you have it displayed in the picture, the damper can not spin on the rod. If you had the “horseshoe” away from the cast recess before you adjusted it, it would flop around about 180degrees. Now it cannot. The spring should hold tension against the pipe wall. Sounds like the spring is shot.