Long Island Pellet burners finally get Okanagan "OKIES"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIpelletpig

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
Long Island, NY
I was driving along on this beautiful day here on Long Island and I pass a lumberyard in Copiague. I notice they have a ton of pellets out by the roadway and in big green letters "Okanagan Wood Pellets". I make a U turn and head back to the lumberyard and I walk in a talk with the owner Vinny. I think a few years ago I tried a few brands from him but wasn't impressed. I didn't think much of it since it was a lumberyard and it was the end of the season so I wasn't looking for a bulk load of pellets. I contacted BTU on the forum and asked if he could reach out to this pellet distributor to see if he would be willing to carry Okies. Well after two years in the process it looks like Long Island landed Okies. Grant it the price is $285 per ton with various delivery options depending on the amount that you order. I believe delivery is free for 2+ tons. It's nice to know we are supporting a local dealer and with a good pellet. I see tons of pellets piling up at Lowes and Home Depot (Big Box Stores) and they are the same or even more expensive for subpar brands. Pricing here on the Island can range from $250-$345 per ton. I plan on ordering an extra ton of pellets this year from Vinny and burning them with my Barefoot. (not mixing) I feel spoiled at this point. I posted the pricing info on the top of the forum under pellet pricing. The lumberyard is called Bravo Window and Door Supply Copiague, NY.

I agree, the quality and price of pellets were terrible. Love them Okies. I have a ton of okies and a ton of Barefoot. Both were $285 per ton. Amazing price for the heat produced. I find the okies burn faster. You may have to adjust your stove to feed faster to get the same heat as the Barefoot.

I stumbled across that lumber yard a few years back and tossed a 1/2 ton in my truck. Don't recall the brand (not Okies though). I do recall them being very friendly. Once I burn off a ton I'll swing by to see what they have.

I broke down and added a few Okies to the pile this past week before the cold front. I tried a few bags a month or two back when it was still relatively mild. I cleaned the stove and tossed in a bag of Okies and all i can say is WOW! Even my wife made a comment to me on how the clean burn pot is and that I only have to scrape once per day and even so it's not necessary. I have no clinkers, no hard carbon build up on the burn pot and the heat...I actually turned the stove down a bit since it was so warm in the house. Mind you I am burning my majority of Barefoot this season and there no a bad pellet, but in comparison to Okies it's no match-up in my Harman Accentra. My only issue now is do I brake down and buy a ton of Okies and Mix with the Barefoot for the season...Decisions Decisions....The price is holding firm here on Long Island for the Okies and the dealer Bravo Window and Door is great! So I might just brake down and buy a ton or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.