Longer chimney inside the house to increase temperature?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Laurentian Rob

Nov 19, 2023
Quebec
Hi, I have part of my chimney inside my house, as it is attached to the back of my pellet stove vertically, an elbow which then goes through my foundation wall, and then a T, and then a few feet vertical again and it vents. I recently looked at the section inside my building an noticed that it was about 50C, and I thought that it is probably a source of heat for the basement, so I wondered if I extended it a bit, would it help warm the basement out better. I am wondering if my theory is right. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

Hi, I have part of my chimney inside my house, as it is attached to the back of my pellet stove vertically, an elbow which then goes through my foundation wall, and then a T, and then a few feet vertical again and it vents. I recently looked at the section inside my building an noticed that it was about 50C, and I thought that it is probably a source of heat for the basement, so I wondered if I extended it a bit, would it help warm the basement out better. I am wondering if my theory is right. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!
Not worth the effort. Better off spending time and money air sealing and insulating. IMO