Longest, Coldest Night! Can't Light My Stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearth Mistress

Minister of Fire
I'm going through withdraw. We finally got the contractors, insurance and mortgage companies in agreement to start the repairs to our home from Sandy. They started with the roof a few weeks ago but had quite a few weather delays. Now, they are now tearing up the side of the roof where my chimney is so NO FIRE tonight since the roof is all tarped up (unexpected rafter damage) until they cone back tomorrow :(

So, without my cozy, wonderful fire, I'm freezing. Yes, the thermostat says 68 and that danged furnace is running and running but I swear it feels like 58! My nose is so cold I'm sitting here with my face in my sweatshirt up to my eyeballs, it's ridiculous! I was just getting used to noticing the HUGE difference in how warm the house was where the insulation and roof has been done. The draft from my kitchen, without the stove heating up the downstairs feels like there is a window open - can't wait for the new insulation and siding on that part of the house. I won't know how to adjust as the kitchen is easily about 48 degrees, super cold draft hole of the house.

What I can't believe is that we lived like this for 8 years before putting in the stove. Not even the painful thought of how much we spent on oil, we were never warm!

Look at your stoves tonight and appreciate the warmth. This is just one night but sitting here staring at my dark stove is just killing me!

I hear ya. I did a three day test last week to see how life would be with the backup electric heat. Thermometer would say 67 or 68 while the meter was burning out a bearing but it felt cold in this joint.

Thirty minutes after I fired that stove back up life started getting good again.

I have the house at near 80* and I'm still cold. Spent the last 2 or 3 days outside in below zero temps... or barely above.

Spent one night in a hotel in Beaver Creek. Was around -10* and all to heat the room was a little 1500 watt plug in heater. Room was easily 1000 sq ft (had a kitchen, 4 or 5 beds, full sized sectional couch, 2 toilets/sinks. If it hit 50-55* I'd be surprised. I wanted to pull all the blankets off the other beds but I was just sleeping enough to not be able to get up... yet know that I was freezing.

Next night slept in the car. Found out at -15* that the coolant barely stays warm with the car idling. (diesel) Wasn't even at the lowest mark on the gauge which is 100* The seat heater is pretty much all I had to keep me warm...ish. Used some dirty clothes as blankets. I had warm gear but it was all locked in the truck which my buddy was sleeping in... and he was shut down, no hope in waking him.

Then today spent the afternoon cleaning driveways and roofs. Warmed up to almost 20* though.

For being retired as of tomorrow I've already done way too much work this week. :p

Reactions: Insomnivore
Well, thanks to crappy weather, even a freak hail storm, they didn't get the section of the roof done around my chimney so, another night, no fire :( I warned them that I don't care what they do tomorrow but they can't leave until I can burn my stove this weekend, or they pay for the oil I'm burning through!

BB, glad to know it isnt just me that knows 68 from the heater isn't the same 68 from the stove!

Congrats on your retirement Nate! I can't complain as it's only in the 30's here at night, no where NEAR the cold you deal with!

Status
Not open for further replies.